Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Home Made Ice Cream

With the weather getting hot I was inspired to make some Ice Cream. One of my Angels - Son, that works for Kitz has an Ice Cream machine so I asked if I could borrow it. I was determined to make a real ice cream my way!! I wanted to use the dehydrated coconut palm sugar that I have converted my boys too. It's a good quality low GI sugar and they have really adapted to its taste. I think it has a mild caramel flavor when I use it in my cooking. All I know is that everything Ive made that I have substituted the coconut palm sugar in has been a hit.
I found what looked like a good recipe and adjusted it to my ingredients. As you can imagine it didn't do what it was supposed to using such a different sugar but I persevered and got it to work out. The first batch of vanilla ice cream came out so good it was gone in almost the first sitting. Then as if I had manifested it .. Aldi had ice cream makers arrive on the same day.. and they were under $30.. I couldn't get there quick enough!! If your an Aldi specials shopper you'll know what I mean.. 
So with my new machine I made some Chocolate Ice Cream using my newly invented recipe.. plus I put a batch of the Chocolate Fudge Brownies so we could have them with fresh Chocolate Ice Cream.. My 14yr old sons comment about the ice cream was.. "this is just like bubblegum!!" 


Chocolate and Vanilla Ice Cream
Ingredients:
Vanilla Ice Cream
2 cups milk
¾ cup coconut palm sugar
½ t vanilla
3 egg yolks
Approx half cup cream
½ - 1 t guar gum

Chocolate: 
add to vanilla,
Add ½ block of organic milk chocolate and 1-2tbs of raw cacao powder to the hot mix and proceed.

Preparation:
Heat milk, vanilla and sugar until dissolved on low heat, about 7minutes. Whisk yolks and add some of the hot milk/sugar mix to the eggs whisk together then add back to the pot and simmer for about 7-10mins on low. Put cream in blender then add the sugar/milk/egg mix and blend until smooth adding the guar gum slowly so that it does not clump. Cool in the fridge or freezer, once cooled completely add to ice cream machine as per its instructions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)