Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Homemade organic spelt Pizza's

I love baking, especially on quiet Saturday afternoons. I manage to get them every second week. I spend my afternoon with the free "cable channel" 72!! It has food, cooking and travel shows on all afternoon. It's my zen afternoon.
I am having another run on baking with yeast and seen as that Saturday night is Pizza night in our house i've been making the bases. I've also been making nice thick naan/faccoccia bread for Sunday morning breakfast that I heat up and serve with a fresh avocado spread that I also make.
I love the idea of putting raw ingredients together that produce wonderful aromas, tastes and textures. It has fascinated me all of the life. I remember as a young teenager baking cakes becuase I wanted to see it rise in the oven. I still love that. The other reason is my passion to healthify everything. I think we can eat whatever we want as long as it is made with healthy fresh ingredients. I don't use recipes. I get ideas then I have to make it up myself. Fun, fun, I love it.
The base is made with an organic spelt flour and it's also dairy free. I have a rule of thumb that if I use good organic or wheat free flour I also make it dairy free. The less dairy and grains we eat the better I feel. Everything in moderation if it is a wholefood. Ths is my family food. I do it to keep then away from the processed junk out there. What would I do without them, this is part of my creative side.

Recipe
Base:

Ingredients:
2 cups wholemeal organic spelt flour
2 cups plain organic flour
2 tbs gluten flour (optional but it makes it very light and elastic)
1 tbs coconut palm sugar
1 tsp sea salt (I use celtic or himalayan pink)
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 cup oat milk (or similar)
3/4 cup warm water (body temp)
1 1/2 tbs dry yeast

Preparation:
Place all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Using the dough hooks in a cake mixer add all of the milk and half of the water then start to mix on a low speed. When all the dry ingredients have mixed in add the rest of the water until you get a nice soft dough. Turn it up to a high speed and mix for about 5-7 minutes. You don't want it hard. Keep mixed until it start to come away from the sides of the bowl and is elastic. You may need to add a bit more water. Cover it lightly with a bit of the oil and cover with cling film. Stand in a nice warm place for at least 1 1/2hrs.
Delflate the dough and divide into portions. I used half for a large pizza base and made 3 smaller naan shaped breads for the next day. Make sure you flour your hands and all surfaces the dough is going onto so it does not stick. Press into the shape you want. I made the base a big rectangle this time to fit more on top!! Let it rise again in a drought free spot then bake for about 7-10 mins in a hot oven before putting toppings on. It will finish cookin when you put it back in.
Before going into the oven

Toppings:
we used
Tomato paste then sprinkled garlic granules, onion flakes and mixed Italian herbs on top.
then add chopped fresh
Tomato
Avocado
Capsicum
Mushroom
Shallot (green onion)
Bocconcini cheese

My husband did the toppings on this one so it also has

Chicken
Soya cheese (pepper, it was given to us)
Cheese slice (my son's half of the Pizza)
Herbamere salt
other ideas they use are
Tuna
Prawns
Smoked oysters

Place it back into a hot oven until the cheese has melted and it is hot!!
Enjoy, it's a Saturday treat.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)