Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Muffin of the moment - Apple vanilla and cinnamon, wheat free, dairy free



Every now and then I come up with a recipe that doesn't last long when made, this is one of those. I make them first thing in the morning so that J-star has nice fresh muffins for his recess and by dinner time they are all gone.  I like that. I then have a good reason to make something else the next morning. It's a zen time thing, early morning, me in the kitchen by myself chopping blending and baking.
I filled these with some stewed apples I made from organic golden delicious apples which have been using for our Saturday morning pancakes. I was going to make a crumble as well but they all got eaten. Next time!!
Oops - the cream is not dairy free but they would be amazing with a vanilla cashew cream.

Apple vanilla & cinnamon muffins
Wheat and dairy free     
Makes 12
Ingredients:
1 ½ cup organic spelt or kamut flour
1 ½ cup organic coconut palm sugar
½ cup organic dried coconut
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. mixed spice
3 tsp. aluminum free baking powder
1 ½ tsp. ground vanilla bean
½ cup rice bran oil
2 eggs
½ cup rice, oat or nut milk
1 grated apple (golden delicious used in this recipe)

Preparation:

©       Place all dry ingredients into a large bowl
©       Mix thoroughly so that the baking powder is evenly distributed through the mix
©       Add grated apple and mix to coat the apple shreds, this will help to distribute it evenly through the mix and stop it all falling to the bottom of the muffins
©       Make a well in the center and add the wet ingredients
©       Mix them as much as you can then fold the wet mix through the dry ingredients with large gentle turning motion until it is well incorporated.
©       Spoon into muffin tin. I spray my muffin tin with a nonstick spray. Not because I thing it is good but because it is easy and it works!! You could also use patty cake liners so that you don’t have to do this step.
©       Bake in a preheated 180oc oven for about 25 minutes or until when you press them gently they spring back.
©       Cool for 5 minutes then remove from the pan.

 the beautiful orchard comes all the way from Darwin from my family to celebrate the opening of our new kitchen and warehouse.

enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. I have just made these yummy looking muffins! However what temperature and how long do I bake them for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops. I'll fix it now, bake them at about 180 degrees C for about 25mins. When you press them gently and they spring back they are ready. :)

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)