Saturday, January 7, 2012

My vesion of mums Banana Cake inspired by Margaret Fulton

I remember my mum making this cake when I was a teenager. My parents always had banana trees so we would often get an over abundance of ripe bananas. This was often the go to recipe to use them up. It freezes well so can be cut into slices, wrapped in cling film and frozen for school lunches etc. By recess time they have defrosted and with any luck will still be a bit cool. It's a nice moist cake which makes it great to freeze.
I make this cake every time I have very ripe bananas. It easy, it's delicious and it's versatile. Everybody loves a good banana cake, even my youngest son who doesn't even like bananas! You can put it into any shaped cake tin, muffin pan or just dollop tablespoon of it onto baking paper to make whoopie cookies or whatever they call them, then when cooled sandwich whipped cream into the middle.. Far out, ill have to try it!! 
The original recipe is Margaret Fulton's. I still have the cookbook mum bought me for Christmas in 1986 - 'The New Idea Cookbook' by Margaret Fulton. It's a fantastic book with lots of recipes in it the remind me of my mum. Sour cream chocolate cake, cheese cakes, salads. It's a very special book ill always treasure. I think I get my fascination for food and recipes from her, actually I'm sure I do. I'm just a bit obsessed with healthifying them all!!
 Mum's Banana Cake
Dairy free
Ingredients:
Dry ingredients:
2 ¼ cups organic wholemeal spelt flour
1 ¾ cups coconut sugar
1 tsp ground fresh vanilla bean
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp mixed spice
1/3 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp baking powder – gluten and aluminum free
Wet ingredients:
1 large ripe banana
2 free range eggs
 ½ cup extra virgin, avocado or rice bran oil
Optional:
5 tbs low temperature dried coconut
Or
5 tbs walnuts
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 180oc
 Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix thoroughly. A whisk works well as it also aerates and removes lumps from the flour.
Put all wet ingredients into a blender and blend until bananas a mashed completely
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients.
Fold through with a spoon and mix to combine.
Pour into a lined or greased cake tin of your choice and bake for approx. 40 minutes or until the center bounces back when gently pressed
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)