Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Year, new inspiration and meat free sausage rolls

I have been toying with the thought about whether my blogging is worth the time it takes and the guilt that I am not consistent, or if it's a waste of time. I think I've decided that it is a good instant recipe book for me whenever or wherever I am. I love how the blog comes up on the iPhone and iPad. My thoughts on being consistent are that I have promised myself to blog at least one recipe a week. That I think will be fun and easy to achieve.
Maybe at the same time as my blogging I will upload my weeks worth of photos. I am also doing a photo challenge on Flickr that I have named "365 days, me and my Kiss X3". I love photography, I'm not that good at it but I would love to learn a lot more about it this year. Another thing I want to focus on.

With all the fun of Christmas there has been way too much meat around here to I decided to make a batch of these meat free sausage rolls. I've made them before and my family liked them so I fished out the recipe and got into my kitchen. I lost the recipe years ago and was so excited when "Healthy food Guide" published them again last year due to constant request for it. Now I know I'll always have it.


Meat free sausage rolls
Ingredients:
1 cup low fat cottage cheese
½ cup walnuts
3 eggs
1 med onion
1 tbs mixed herbs
1 tbs tamari
1 cup quick oats - I used the normal oats
½ cup dried breadcrumbs - I used ground Kitz crackers
3 sheets puff pastry
Skim milk for brushing - I used organic full cream
I also added
Himalayan salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp of Massel chicken stock.
Next time I might even add garlic - that's a reminder to me!

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 200oc
Process cottage cheese, walnuts, eggs, onion herbs and tamari in a food processor, add oats and breadcrumbs, pulse until combined.
Lay out  pastry and spread two sausage shaped logs of the mix down the center of each half, roll pastry around mix making sure to overlap the pastry. Cut into sausage rolls, either 4 large rolls or eight small. Bursh with milk
Line a baking tray with baking paper and place rolls onto tray. Prick pastry with a fork.
Bake for 25-30 minutes. Serve hot with a green salad and organic tomato sauce.

All I can say is that I made 10 about 2 hours ago and there are only 2 left. So they must be ok. 

Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)