Sunday, February 12, 2012

Aussie baked beans with cucumber avocado salad and boiled eggs


 Ok, it was Saturday and I was supposed to be getting some work done in my office, but all I wanted to do was make something grain free, healthy and savoury for lunch. This is what I came up with and it turned out to be very nice. The left over Spiced beans where used on the grain free pizza base I made for dinner. I was really nervous about my grain free base as I had freshly ground all of the ingredients to make it so it was very rustic. Just the type of food I love. To my relief and amazement he loved it (my DH) So I will have another go at it next week and if I get success twice in a row I will blog it. It's a great recipe for the Paleo diet which I feel is a great way to eat. Most of the cooking I do for my boys now is with the principles in mind. I eat a fusion of Paleo/pescaterian/raw.. I have nothing against meat but it just doesn't do it for me. I love my seafood, especially fresh fatty Atlantic salmon!!


Aussie baked beans with cucumber avocado salad and boiled eggs
Ingredients:
1 tbs olive oil
2 rashers nitrate free bacon
½ to 1 onion diced
1 carrot – diced
1 stick celery – diced
½ cup eggplant – diced
1 garlic clove crushed or splash of dried garlic flakes
3 tbs tomato paste
2 – 3 tsp Cajun spice mix
1 tsp massel stock powder
½ cup water
1 tsp molasses
1 tbs organic bbq sauce
1 tin mixed beans – rinsed and drained
Parsley

Preparation:
Fry bacon in oil for few minutes then add diced vegetables and sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic and tomato paste and cook off tomato paste for about a minute stirring so it does not burn and catch. Add the rest of the ingredients minus the bean and parsley.  Cook and stir for a couple of minutes then add bean, stir through until hot the add parsley and serve. Sprinkle with extra parsley and Pepsun or pepitas.
Cucumber avocado salad
Ingredients
1 Lebanese cucumber
½ large avocados
1 carrot
Slice of red capsicum
Coriander
Salt and pepper to taste
4 boiled eggs, to serve, preferably soft boiled so that they ooze the yolk over the top, my were a bit over done.
Preparation:
Chop and dice all ingredients and add to a bowl, mix in salt, pepper and coriander the stir.
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)