Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Super charged apple cake with apricot cream frosting

I love rainy mornings in the kitchen. Actually I love all early mornings in my kitchen. It's my creative cooking kitchen time. No one around just me and the cat harassing me for more food.. what is it with this cat, it's always hungry!!

Inspiration for this was the half bag of Super Charged in the pantry and the organic apples sitting in the fruit bowl. I had to do a cream topping as one of our new girls loved the cashew cream I did last week so I did this apricot one hopping that it will complement the cake perfectly.

Got this all done then headed down to my dojo to do my HIIT.. I am loving it at the moment just feel so good after busting out a good hard workout. Doesn't take too long. Anywhere from 20-35minutes and I am done.
Super charged apple cake
with apricot cream frosting

Makes one 18cm round cake
Ingredients:

Cake
1 cup KitzSuper Charged crunchies
½ cup each dates and organic dried apricots
2 tb macadamia butter
2 tbs agave or honey (optional)
1 tsp apple pie spice or cinnamon
2 small apples – organic (if you don’t use organic then peel them first)

Filling
½ cup good quality organic dried coconut (I use low temp dried organic, it’s divine)
3 tbs coconut palm sugar or blended sultanas (raisins)
2 tbs agave
1 tsp cinnamon
2 small organic apples grated (peel if not organic)

Cream
½ cup cashews
¼ cup chopped organic dried apricots
½ tsp ground vanilla bean or equivalent
1 tbs agave

Preparation:

Cake:
In a food processor ground the Super Charged then tip it into a large bowl.
Process the dates and apricots until small chunks and tip into the bowl with the super charged
Grate the apple and add to the bowl with the remaining ingredients
Mix and press into a baking paper lined round bake tin

Filling:
Grate apples and add to a bowl with the remaining ingredients
Mix until properly combines
Pour over cake and spread it evenly, then press it down

Cream:
Place cashews and apricots into a small personal blender (I love the Tribest) and cover with warm water for about 2-3hrs making sure that you only just cover it. You don’t want too much water or it will be way too runny and if you have to pour some off you will lose the beautiful sweetness from the apricots
Add remaining ingredients to blender cup and blend with the flat blade until smooth and creamy
Pour over cake and spread evenly
Give it a sprinkle of coconut if you wish and refrigerate until cold.

Namaste!! Enjoy. J

 Valentines rose

Valentines lily 
both nearly at the end of their days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)