Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Spicy kidney beans with red and black quinoa

I was on a roll last Saturday. The pancakes had worked out really well and I was keen to make a good healthy gluten free lunch for my gang. I was also motivated by the thought that the spicy beans would be good on the grain free pizza I had organised for my husband for dinner.
This is a quick easy meal, also very economical. This is my year of living frugal, sustainable and working at being as self sufficient as I can be under my circumstances. My veggie garden is getting better. I am already picking greens, cherry tomatoes and we have our first bunch of beautiful fat lady finger bananas. We lost the first bunch to our neighbours, it was hanging very close to their little veranda. Oh well, we are happy to share. Shame they didn't offer us some though, we where going to give then some if we beat them to it.



Spicy kidney beans with red and black quinoa

Ingredients:

2 slices salt bacon - Nitrite free, diced
1 medium carrot diced
¼ medium red capsicum (pepper) diced
3 slices of eggplant diced
2-3 inches of leek sliced thinly
1 tsp garlic granules or one garlic cloves crushed
1 tbs onion flakes or a ½ a small onion diced
1 large tomato diced
3 tbs tomato paste
1 tbs molasses – organic
2 tbs Cajun or tandoori spice mix
1 tbs organic BBQ sauce – I use the Macro one
1 tsp Massel or organic stock powder
½ cup water
1 410g tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup each of red and black quinoa
Fresh or dried parsley to serve

Preparation:

Place quinoa in a pot with 1 ½ cups of water and cook on low until it is soft and fluffy and has absorbed all of the water.
Add bacon to a hot fry pan and cook until the fat has rendered of it so that you can add the diced vegetables.
Cook and stir the vegies with the garlic and onion until soft.
Add the tomato paste, BBQ sauce, stock powder and spice mix and fry it off for about a minute
Add the water and kidney beans and cook on low heat for approximately 5-10minutes. It should be nice and thick when it is finished heating through.
Serve with the quinoa and sprinkle with parsley.
Enjoy!

 They may look a bit scratchy but they are perfect on the inside. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)