Thursday, May 24, 2012

Curried coconut and split pea soup - Vegan, grain free and dairy free.


I made this last week for lunch on a day that my kitchen manager came over for a cuppa. she had a bowl and promptly requested.. Recipe please! and my dear Jo loved it also so it's a keeper. Into my recipe collection it goes and seen as this is my online cookbook as well, 3 good reasons to blog!
Green split pea soup is usually made with a ham hock but there was no way I was adding one of the nitrate/nitrite infested bests to my families food and I also know that Jo prefers to eat pork so I made it with stock, I then noticed the curry in the pantry and the packet of coconut milk powder that I hadn't tried so that was my inspiration. Simple and tasty!! 


 Curried coconut and split pea soup
Serves: 6-8

Ingredients:

1 tbs oil (rice bran or avocado)
1 cup sliced leek
Dried garlic and onion - you could use fresh if you wish. I was lazy and splashed dried in because it was easy!! 
Base and leaves of an organic cauliflower
1 head broccoli
1 zucchini
1 carrot
2 stalks of celery
1-2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp dried mixed herbs and/or rosemary
1 packet of dried green split peas
1 packet of Ayam coconut milk powder 
1 litre of stock – I used chicken which actually has no chicken in it! It is also numbers and nasties free!!
Himalayan or Celtic salt and fresh ground pepper to taste and garnish

Preparation:

Add leek to heated oil on a large pot and cook for a minute, then add all remaining cut vegetables, you don’t have to be too fussy as you will be blending it at the end.
Quickly stir the vegetable with the leek while adding the curry, garlic, onion and herbs for about 2 minutes.
Add the packet of split peas with the stock and cook until the peas are soft.  About an hour.  You will need to add about ½ to 1 cup of water as the peas will soak up a lot of the liquid.
When cooked add the packet of coconut powder, stir it through, you may need to add more water. Then blend until smooth. I used a stick blender, you could also use a normal blender but it’s more washing up!!

Last a good 3-4days in the fridge and it wonderful heated up slowly on a stovetop for lunch. Serve with Kitz Crackers for a grain free, gluten free, dairy free meal.

Enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. nice opinion.. thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problems, I hope you have a go at making it and enjoy it as much as we did.

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)