Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Asian inspired rice salad


What to do with left over cooked rice and a husband that is really enjoying salads. A nice Asian inspired Rice salad! I served it with grilled Hoki (fish) and a fresh green salad.


Ingredients are estimates as I just threw it together.

Makes 2-3 servings

Ingredients

1 cup cooked cold rice - I used jasmin but any will do, especially brown.
1 stick celery - diced or v-sliced finely
Red capsicum - diced or v-sliced finely
2 slices of red onion or 1 tbs dry onion flakes (I used fresh)
1 tsp dry garlic granules
3 diced dates
3 diced organic dried apricots
1/2 red apple - grated or v-sliced finely
1 small carrot - grated or v-sliced finely
3-4 tbs salted peanuts or cashews

Dressing

3 tbs Tamari
3 tbs of Mirin (sugar free, spiral is a good one)
1/2 tsp Fresh garlic
1 tsp Fresh ginger
1/2 tsp curry powder
1 tbs rice vinegar
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
Chili - optional

Preparation:
  1. Place all rice salad ingredients into a bowl and mix
Dressing
  1. Add all dressing ingredients to a small personal blender such as the Tribest and blend. 
  2. Pour over rice and stir through. 
  3. Sprinkle some fresh herbs on top, I had fresh rosemary which I love in salads but Coriander would be perfect.
  4. Enjoy!



I am also a FIFO (fly in, fly out) wife, my husband (the babe!) does a week on, week off roster travelling from one side of the country to the other. It's a lot of travelling for him and he ends up spending half of his life away from us but the benefits when he is home are wonderful. It's like I/we are on holiday's every second week. We live in such a beautiful place, walking distance to some of the best beaches, surf, beach side cafe's and walking paths, including stairs, hills, sand and bike paths. Perfect! 

Every morning after I've prepared everyone's breakfast and Mr J's lunch for school I head out for a 50 minute walk and the babe goes to the beach for a swim, run and some meditation on his special rock! When we get home we chill out with a cuppa, me- green tea, babe - Natures free caffeine cuppa on our front deck soaking up the rays. What do you do to relax each day?

Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)