This is my healthier meat free take of a Croque monsieur. As much as the boys in my family love bacon, I WILL not buy it!! Unless I can find (preferably) organic, naturally brined bacon made without nitrites or nitrates or any other chemical concoctions for that matter. For special times I will buy the Parma ham from Aldi, it is just pork and salt! simple, just as it is supposed to be. It is sliced very thin and is quite expensive but they love it. I do consider foods like this treat foods for all of my family.
Cheesy French Toast sandwich
2 slice wholemeal bread (good quality, no preservatives, especially 282)
2 free range eggs
1/2 garlic clove
1-2 slices onion
salt and pepper to taste
Reduced fat cheese (one that is only milk and rennet, nothing else!)
- Heat a heavy based fry pan on medium and smear the bottom with coconut oil, then wipe with a piece of paper towel leaving enough oil so that it does not stick but not too much that it too oily! (or you could be indulgent and cook it in a big dollop of butter!)
- Place eggs, garlic cloves, onion, salt and pepper into a blender and whizz into a frenzy making sure that the garlic and onion have been pulverised.
- Pour into a dish large enough to fit the bread.
- Place the 2 pieces of bread into the egg mix, turn them inside out so that you can place the slices of cheese on the egg drenched side putting the wet sides together and soak the whole sandwich top and bottom until it is had absorbed all of the egg mix.
- Gently slide into you heated pan and slowly cook both sides until the cheese has melted. You may need to turn your hotplate down so that the outside does not burn.
Check out the bananas in our backyard!! They are the fattest, creamiest lady fingers we've ever tasted. We've always had bananas in our backyard but these lady fingers are the best. I am planning to make a dehydrated banana and mixed nut granola, will post the recipe and pic's when it's done.
Enjoy your weekend..