Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Chai apple and oat cake – sugar free, dairy free


Apples that need to be used, hubby home and needing healthy snacks! I love it when I have a good reason to get into my kitchen and create something. A quick look in my pantry and this is what I came up with. I was up early to get things done and had a nice little visitor on my kitchen deck picture below.

Took some photo's after my morning walk where I found these flowers. The tree was full of bee's! they must be good pollinating flowers.



Chai apple and oat cake – sugar free, dairy free

Makes: 20cm x20cm cake

Ingredients:
1 cup oats – I used quick oats
1 cup activated almonds – ground (almond meal or normal almonds would also be ok)
2/3 cup xylitol
1/2 cup raisins or sultanas - optional, leave out if you are completely sugar free, replace with 1/2 cup coconut
4 chai tea bags - tear open and empty
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
2 apples – 1 grated, 1 sliced
2 eggs
100ml coconut oil

Preparation:
  • ·         Preheat oven to 180oc
  • ·         Place oats, almonds, raisins/sultanas if using, xylitol, chia tea, cinnamon, vanilla and baking powder into a large mixing bowl and stir to combine and eliminate all the lumps making sure that the baking powder is evenly distributed
  • ·         Add the grated apple and stir it through thoroughly so that all of the apple shreds are covered in the dry ingredients, this will ensure that it stays evenly distributed when baked.
  • ·         Make a well in the center and add the eggs and oil and mix
  • ·         Scoop into a baking paper or oiled 20x20 baking dish and cook for 50-55 minutes, keeping an eye on it so as not to over cook
  • ·         Let cool before cutting, it is a bit crumbly but still super moist and delicious.


Before going into the oven

My cute little visitor 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)