Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Date sugar.... Natures candy!

I have had a lot of fun with this one.. no one has been able to guess what it is, not even my family. I can tell you it's healthy, it's easy and it's only one ingredient..... best of all, by itself it taste like crunchy candy. It's also very sticky. I suggest putting it into something strong enough that you dig it out with knife or fork. I also thought a resealable bag would be could as this would make it easy to break pieces off. I've made a cake with it which worked really well and I also sprinkle it on bircher muesli. I'm sure I'll find lots of other things to do with it as well.


I'd seen date sugar in a few recipes but have never seen it for sale anywhere. So I did a bit of googling (wish I kept the links so I could give some credit!) and decided to have a go at it. 

Date Sugar
Super easy instructions:

  1. Cover a mesh dehydrator sheet with dried dates and dry on 45 degrees celcius (115 Fahrenheit) for 24-36 hours or until they are hard when cooled. 
  2. Place cool dates into a blender or food processor and blend until fine. (I used a blender)
  3. Patiently remove the sticky sugar and package into sealed containers.

NOTE: you can also dehydrate it again to get it even drier if you wish. I didn't do that but have read that it get it much drier, I don't know about the stickiness though.

Have fun and Enjoy!

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)