Monday, April 29, 2013

Salted peanut, dark chocolate covered coffee bean brownies - grain free, sugar free and full of antioxidants.

I threw together a similar recipe for Mr J last week and he loved them! OMG, yes he does like some of the stuff I make him!! 16 year olds.. love em! Actually I tell a lie, he seems to appreciate that I make him healthy snacks and the fact is he would be eating much better food that a majority of teenagers these days as everything he eats comes from my kitchen and I don't do processed, coloured box food in my home... it's just doesn't happen. When challenged they get a quick reply.. "It's because I love you and I would feel like I was neglecting you if I fed you processed rubbish!".. needless to say I'm always cooking... lucky I love it!

Back to the brownies. Mr J's brownies are made with flour and coconut palm sugar. My husband tries to limit grains and sugar so he really appreciates his snacks without grains or sugar. I was a bit nervous about this one as I haven't had much success with coconut flour in cakes and brownies but he loved them. Coconut flour is the by product of coconut oil so it is very dry and absorbs a lot of moisture. The upside is that you don't need much but you do need a lot of liquid, usually eggs!! so you need lots of eggs. (reminds me.. I want chooks!)

Here is the recipe, it's easy and quick to put together.. like everything I make. I will add some notes at the bottom for substitutes. It also needs to be eaten with the first day or two as it tends to dry out.

   Salted peanut, dark chocolate covered coffee bean brownies

Makes: 20cm x 20cm brownie

Ingredients:

½ cup coconut flour
½ cup cacao powder
1 cup xylitol
½ cup salted peanuts (or salted cashews if you can’t do peanuts)
½ cup dark chocolate covered coffee beans
6 eggs
½ cup evoo or coconut oil
½ tsp vanilla powder or paste
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp aluminum free baking powder

Preparation:
  1. Mix all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl making sure the baking powder is evenly distributed
  2. Make a well in the center and add the wet ingredients
  3. Stir the wet ingredients to break up the eggs and incorporate with the oil
  4. Fold into the dry ingredients until you have a nice wet batter
  5. Pour into a baking paper lined 20cm x 20cm baking dish
  6. Bake at 180oc (350of) for 40 minutes
  7. Allow to cool before cutting.
NOTE:
  1. Substitute salted cashews if you can't do peanuts
  2. You could use stevia instead of xylitol for sugar free but make sure you use the equivalent of 1/2 cup of sugar. All stevia's seem to be a bit different.
  3. If you are not concerned about it being sugar free use coconut palm sugar or similar.
Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)