Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Sugar free Chocolates - simple and easy

I love that my family are now choosing the sugar free options and appreciating all the trouble I have gone to over their lives to ensure that I was feeding them the healthiest and cleanest diet I new of at the time. As we all know things have changed dramatically in the last 20 years! Low fat, high carb, to high fat, low carb, lots of fruit, no fruit, gluten free, grain free... etc etc!! who's right, who's wrong? Like the low fat revolution that helped obesity spiral out of control it's an ongoing challenge keeping up with the latest research on what diet works the best. My moto is that if it came straight from nature and is a whole food then it's ok. Or my 1 ingredient policy, then I make them into healthy versions of the processed rubbish. OK, enough rambling.. this needs to be another post on it own.

I made these on Saturday as Sunday was our Easter get together. No one was here over Easter so we improvised. I did a big slow cooker roast leg of lamb with nice plain baked vegetable and steamed greens, with a grain free, sugar free and dairy free chocolate brownie with coconut ice cream  and yep.. forgot to get a photo!!!  Just threw the brownie together so didn't have a proper recipe to post either. Oh well, next time I will be more 'on the ball'..

We had these little chocolates after with a pot of Green tea. Both rich in antioxidants so a perfect end to a healthy lunch.

 Sugar free chocolate

Makes: 18 small chocolate - filled with nuts and fruits.

You will need a chocolate mould. I have a silicon one which worked really well and didn't need to be oiled to remove the chocolates as I could just push them out. If you don't have one or can't get one then let the mix get a bit firm then drop spoonfuls onto baking paper and freeze.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup raw cacao paste - available here
1/2 cup raw cacao butter - available here
3 tbs xylitol - ground in a coffee grinder to a powder, refer to Note.

Add ins:

Mixed sprouted and dehydrated nuts
Goji berries - won't be sugar free
Sultanas or raisins - won't be sugar free
Coconut shreds

Preparation:

  1. In a double boiler, (I used a glass pyrex bowl over a small pot of simmering water) melt the cacao butter and paste
  2. Add in 3 tbs of the powder xylitol or sweetener of your choice then do a taste test, if you need to add more do it now until you get it to the sweetness level that works for you. 
  3. Place nuts, seeds, and fruit into chocolate  moulds then drop spoonfuls of the melted chocolate on top. 
  4. I did  this with half the mixture then added a splash of cream to the melted chocolate to make a lighter milk chocolate, if I had coconut cream I would have used that but I didn't. (why I had dairy cream is beyond me!! maybe I thought they might want pancakes for breakfast one morning!)
  5. I had a little left over that didn't fit the moulds so I mixed in the nuts, dried fruits and some shredded coconut and dropped spoonfuls onto baking paper then put into the freezer with the other chocolates.
  6. Once they have hardened push the chocolate out of the moulds and store in the freezer.

NOTE:
The xylitol does give a slightly grainy texture so try to ground it as smooth as you can. You could also use Stevia if you like the taste of it (my family don't, personally I love it!)


enjoy!








1 comment:

  1. We love your pictures and recipes, they are mouth watering. Would love for you to share them with us at foodieportal.com. We are new but at foodieportal.com we are not photography snobs, we are just foodies.

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)