Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Fresh banana, pear and macadamia slice and our country retreat - Gluten, grain and sugar free options!


This ones for all those gorgeous peeps on FB and IG that showed interest in my recipe... I love that! I have a passion for showing people that healthy eating is exciting and yummy and wicked but not detrimental to your health. I hope you enjoy this recipe.. 
Monday cookup! Always includes a healthy snack for my husband to take back to work for the week. He is trying to shed a bit of .... fat! ew, that word!! Honestly he really doesn't have much, but at least he is keeping it in check. I try to keep his snacks low in fructose, grains and now carbs!! 
Everything in moderation is how we live. Although when our kids are here we are informed that apparently moderation is extreme to most of the population!! I wonder, am I the only one that gets shocked when I hear that people actually eat 'white bread'.. and cereals and cakes from coloured boxes! I thought they where just there for decoration in the supermarkets..
Here's the cake/slice I threw together, glad I am starting to measure things, it's becoming a habit now so that I can write up the recipe if I need too. I love the addition of the fresh fruit. It cuts down the concentrated sugars of dried fruits and adds nice mouthfuls of juiciness.  


 Fresh banana, pear and macadamia slice

Makes: 20x20 cake/slice

Ingredients:

1 cup oats
3 tbs coconut flour
2 scoops pea protein powder
1/3 cup xylitol or coconut palm sugar (I used xylitol)
1 tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla powder or essence
½ cup goji berries
½ cup macadamia halves
1 cup prunes sliced in half
1 ripe banana chopped
1 pear chopped
3 free range eggs
1/3 cup melted coconut oil

Topping

Coconut flakes
2 tbs coconut palm sugar or xylitol (I used coconut sugar)

Preparation:
  1. Preheat oven the 170-180 o c (350 o f)
  2. Add all dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir thoroughly so the baking powder is evenly distributed throughout the mix
  3. Add the banana and pear and mix again to cover the fruit with the dry ingredients so that they stay separated while cooking
  4. Make a well in the centre and add the eggs and coconut oil, whisk them together so that the eggs and oil have combined then gently and thoroughly fold through the rest of the mix until you have a thick doughy mix. Don’t overdo it as it may result in a tough slice/cake
  5. Turn into the 20x20 cm baking dish lined with baking paper. (easy cleaning!)
  6. Sprinkle coconut flakes and sugar over the top before placing in the centre of preheated oven
  7. Bake for 40 minutes
  8. Let cool before slicing. It is a little bit crumbly but still delicious.
NOTES:
  1. Use gluten free oats for a gluten free slice or almond meal for grain free
  2. Whey protein powder or rice bran protein powder can be used if you don't have the pea
  3. You could substitute raw or brown sugar if you need too
  4. Use all xylitol for sugar free
  5. You can substitute sultanas/raisins and dates for the goji berries and prunes. 
  6. You can also use extra virgin olive oil or melted butter if you don't have coconut oil
  7. Try to use as many organic ingredients as possible



It was my birthday last week and my dear husband surprised me with a retreat getaway for two nights. It was amazing and something we both really needed. We had the best time and just loved being in the country. Our cabin was perfect, the weather was perfect.. well basically it was Perfect!! Check out some photo's he got of the cabin and surroundings.... 



 View from our cabin
Sat in the sun and had breaky here on our last day
 Finished our morning walk climbing to the top of this hill
Half way down the hill

 We strolled around the creek

 Oh Yes!! hot tub time!!
Ripples on the Creek


2 comments:

  1. Wow gorgeous retreat, can you tell me where it is please, thanks Manda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manda it's "Ripples on the Creek" just out of Kylogle. I should have put a link to it.. might do it now :-)

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)