I do try to keep sweets and treats balanced.. as in the amount of carbs, protein and good fats. It doesn't matter what your eating if you can accomplish this then at least everything you eat is nourishing and satisfying. Especially when eating sweet things. I tend to find that if it's just carbs, there's no stopping. You just don't get that message from the brain.. "thanks! iv'e had enough!".. you just want to keep going until there's nothing left and then you feel sick and guilty and generally like crap. Add some protein and viola.. satisfaction, peace and tranquillity The mind is not thinking that the cake is screaming at me saying... "Eat Me!: do you know that feeling..
Anyway here's the recipe, it's pretty easy and like all my stuff, easy and quick to clean up.
Protein enriched Chocolate banana cakes with healthy icing
Makes 8 mini cupcakes
1 cup self-rising spelt flour
1 cup coconut sugar
2 tbs coconut flour
2 ½ tbs cacao powder
2 large tbs protein powder – I used pea protein powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla powder
½ tsp aluminium free baking powder
1/3 cup dried pitted dates
3 free range eggs
2 large or 4 small ripe bananas
½ cup coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 180oc (350of)
- Place all of the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl
- Mix them with a whisk or spoon making sure that the have properly combined and there are no lumps
- Place all of the wet ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth
- Add the wet to the dry and fold through until you have well-combined thick dough
- Place large spoonful’s of the dough into greased mini cakes tin and back in the center of your oven for 25 minutes, gently press on them and if they spring back they are ready.
- Let cool before trying to remove
- If you only have plain spelt use 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- Any protein powder should work
- Vanilla paste or a scraped bean if you don’t have the powder – I highly recommend you get the powder, it’s expensive but a little goes a long way. It’s pure and it’s amazing.
6 tbs rice flour
6 tbs coconut palm sugar
2 tbs cacao powder
2 tbs coconut oil
Approx. 4-5 tbs water
- Add dry ingredients to a small bowl
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until it is smooth and fluffy
- Spread onto mini cakes… don’t eat it all out of the bowl or you’ll run short!!