Sunday, May 12, 2013

Miso Ratatoullie

So, it's Mothers Day and my gorgeous kids are taking me out for lunch. So I decided I would just have a light breakfast so that I had a good appetite for lunch which I knew was going to be late as one was at work and would finish about 1-ish, the other had worked all night and had an hours drive to get here and the other has fallen asleep after a late night!!! I'm hungry, I love veggies, I love ratatouille and I love miso.. and I figured, Well! the Japanese have miso for breakfast so here is the late breakfast I made myself.. and it was amazing.
This is one of my favourite meals and sides and has wonderful memories for me. My dad used to make this for us as kids to use up the huge zucchini’s from his veggie garden. I have changed it a bit using miso and apple cider vinegar at the end for the added goodness of enzymes to help digestion so that we can get the best from our organic veggies. This recipe is extremely versatile, it’s wonderful on its own as a light lunch or dinner. It’s also great as a side served with your protein of choice, my family loves it with a roast lamb, I don’t eat meat but find it wonderful with fish or even a poached egg thrown on top. You could also try it with Tofu if you are vegan. 


Miso Ratatouille
Ingredients:

1-3 sticks Celery
1 Zucchini
½ Eggplant
2 cups Mushrooms
4-5 Asparagus
3 Tomatoes
1 red Capsicum
2-3 cubes frozen spinach
1 tbs ground Garlic and ginger
1 tsp Mixed herbs
Fresh cracked Pepper
2 large tbs Dark miso
2 tbs raw apple cider vinegar

Preparation:
  1. Chop all ingredients into cubes and add to 1cm of boiling water.
  2. Simmer and stir occasionally on a low heat until all vegetables are soft and it is getting thick and creamy.
  3. Turn heat off and add cracked pepper, vinegar and dark miso and stir to combine.
Serve and enjoy!

NOTE:
You can add chopped onion. (I don’t as it seems to upset my tummy!)


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)