Monday, May 13, 2013

Raw almond shortbread cookies

I received a request for these a few weeks ago from my bestie who owns a great online raw vegan business... RawPleasure.com.au ..... she makes me larf...... as she would say! hahahahaaa makes me larf just thinking about her, everyone needs a crazy friend, she is one of mine!
I made these a few years ago as a Christmas special for Kitz Living Foods when I owned it. I didn't do them for too long as they are very labour intensive when done on a large scale but as a treat for friends and family they are perfect. They also keep well.

 Almond shortbread cookies

Makes: 20-24 small cookies

Ingredients:

2 cups sprouted almond flour
1 cup sprouted buckwheat flour
2/3-1 cup Agave or raw honey
1 tsp vanilla powder or paste

Preparation:

  1. Soak almonds for 7hrs and buckwheat for 3 hrs, rinse and drain then dehydrate until crisp. Usually 24hrs.
  2. Grind almonds and buckwheat into flour in a blender or food processor.
  3. Add remaining ingredients and blend until combined. You may need to finish kneading it with your hands to get a well combined mix. It is a very firm dough.
  4. Roll into balls and flatten onto telflex sheets or roll out with a damp rolling pin and press into stars if you have cookie cutters. 
  5. Dehydrate for 24-48 hours depending on how dry you want them. I did mine for the 2 days. They are  ice and firm but a bit sticky, so maybe err on the lesser amount of sweetener.
NOTES:
  1. I used honey as I have stopped buying Agave due to it being very high fructose
  2. It's easier to do it all in a food processor if you have both because it will be able to combine all ingredients properly. 
  3. Honey give a slightly sticky cookie whereas the agave is not so sticky and has a lovely subtle tang from what I can remember.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)