Thursday, June 6, 2013

Light, quick and easy breaky, brunch or anytime snack

This is a quick snack I usually make after I've done my workout in the morning. There are many variations of it so just use the vegetables that you have and enjoy. It only takes about 10 minutes to make and it's perfect for winter, nice and warming. The eggs are a good source of protein and all the greens, cooked and raw are alkalizing which will help to balance out the acidity of eggs while giving you a great source of nourishment. Adding Himalayan salt also adds to the alkalizing affect.

Eating eggs provides you with a wide range of vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin D (needed for healthy bones and teeth to name a few), choline (essential for normal development of the brain and memory), folate (important if you are pregnant or planning on getting pregnant), calcium (for healthy bones and teeth), iron and selenium. Add as many eggs are you like. There's nothing wrong with having 2-3 if you need.



There is no special recipe for this it's just inspiration. Here are some options and directions on how I do mine.

Vegetables that I use - I usually only use 3-5 at a time so that I have variety.

Zucchini
Eggplant
Celery
Tomato
Capsicum/Pepper
Mushroom - a favourite!
Spinach - raw and frozen
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Fresh sprouts
Leek or onion - I love these but don't use them as they affect my tummy!! Gas is not a good thing for my family..
Cucumber - super alkalizing

Preparation:

Grab a small pot if you are only making for one add about 1 cm of filtered water, get it boiling then add you chopped vegetables of choice. Put the lid on and let them simmer until soft
Turn heat down and add mixed herbs, fresh or dried, Himalayan, Celtic or a good quality salt.
Break you egg/s onto the vegetables and return the lid so that the egg poaches.
Once the egg/s is/are cooked to your liking preferably with the yolk still running to preserve it natural goodness sprinkle with cracked black pepper and slide onto you plate along side some fresh greens and as you can see I love cucumber. Adding a teaspoon of coconut oil or organic grass fed butter will help to absorb the vitamins and minerals in the meal.
Season and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)