Monday, June 17, 2013

Maqui berry, mesquite and banana smoothie - a meal in a mug!

Sunday morning breakfasts are spread out a bit.. first a smoothie to keep the hunger at bay while I dawdle in the kitchen creating a cooked brunch.. Always good after a morning walk with my little Roxi and my man when he is home.
Smooth, creamy and naturally sweetened with fresh fruit, Maqui berry which it super high in antioxidants and gives it gorgeous colour, mesquite for its magnesium, iron, zinc and best of all caramel tones, almonds to add healthy fats, calcium and milkiness, protein for growth and repair and Maca which is great for balancing hormones. If you can't get the ingredients from you local health food or wholefoods shop I have added links to the online shop that I have been purchasing these types of foods for the last 9 years, they are wonderful and very helpful and the best thing is ... it gets delivered straight to my front door!! If you use them.. tell Jenny I sent you.. ;-)
Maqui Berry and Mesquite Smoothie with dried white Mulberries
Serves: 2 large or 3-4 small

Ingredients:

2 large or 4 small very ripe bananas
2 organic red apples
1 handful of active almonds
1-2 scoops of natural or vanilla protein powder
1 tsp mesquite
1 tsp maqui berry powder
1/3 tsp vanilla powder (if using natural protein powder)
Optional: 1 tsp maca powder
Hand full of sun-dried white mulberries

Preparation:

Throw all ingredients into a high speed blender, I have a vitamix, don't waist you time or good ingredients making this in a cheap $60 blender, they are not strong enough to blend the ingredients to the super smooth consistency that makes a good smoothie special.

NOTE:

  1. The vitamix that I use is also available from Raw Pleasure, I highly recommend them. I was raw for 5 years and I still eat a very high raw diet now and I only got mine last year!! what was I thinking!!! worth every cent. 
  2. For a raw vegan version use a raw protein like the ones in the link, if raw is not important but vegan is that my favourite is Pea protein powder. 
  3. For a Paleo version use a good quality low heat processed, grass fed whey protein powder.
Sunrise from my kitchen window... me and and the cat never miss this, he makes sure of it!! Enjoy your smoothies... 


7 comments:

  1. Hi, I was simply checking out this blog and I really admire the premise of the article and this is really informative. This is really informative about Maqui Berry and I will for sure refer my friends the same. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sandra, I'm glad you found it informative. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so awesome! I don't think I have read something like this before.
    So nice to discover someone with a few unique thoughts on this topic.

    Seriously.. thank you for starting this up. This site is one thing that is needed on the internet, someone with
    a little originality!

    My web-site Acai Berry 900 Reviews - http://joyofmom.com/,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself or did you
    hire someone to do it for you? Plz answer back as I'm looking to
    create my own blog and would like to find out where u got this
    from. thank you

    my site: acaiberry900diet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words.. No I haven't paid anyone to do my site, I set it up myself. I use blogger. :-)

      Delete
  5. Wow, wonderful blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is magnificent, as well as the
    content!

    Also visit my blog web page

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)