They are soft and chewy with a nice banana taste with the crunchy chocolate top that goes soooo well with banana, plus the addition of protein powder and maca to make them a real fitness treat, post workout or pre!! Perfect, and yes, they are yummy!
Raw choc topped banana protein bars
1 cup soaked and sprouted mixed nuts – make sure nuts are very dry if not using a dehydrator
½ cup coconut
¾ cup dates
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp vanilla powder
2 m ripe banana – use sundried bananas if not dehydrating
1 tbs natural or vanilla protein powder – chocolate would also work
1 tsp maca
½ cup tempered cacao paste
½ cup cacao butter
¼ cup agave, honey or coconut sugar
A smidge of vanilla and mesquite – optional
- Rinse and drain nuts and place all bar ingredients into a high speed blender such as a vitamix, blend until thick and smooth, you will need to use the tamper to move it around.
- Turn onto a teflex sheet and spread out to about 1 ½ cm thickness then scour into bar
- Dehydrate on 130 for about 4-5 hours then turn down to about 115 for another 15 hours.
- Turn bars over onto the mesh sheet then dehydrate another 24 hrs or until they are just nice and chewy and not all dried out and too hard, it’s best to check them occasionally
- Remove when ready then place in the freezer to cool off while you prepare the choc top
- Place all ingredients into glass pyrex bowl and either place in your dehydrator or oven on it’s lowest temperature until melted.
- Stir and dip your cold bars into the chocolate a couple of times to get a nice thick coating.
- They then store well in the fridge and are fine to take out with you as they do not melt.
- Italics indicates options if you don’t have a dehydrator, it would be better to blend the bars in a food processor, start with the nuts then add the chopped sundried bananas and dates with the rest of the ingredients, then shape into bars.
- You can also use your favourite raw chocolate recipe to top it or melt a good quality dark chocolate
- The chocolate can be melted in a water bath, I don’t like having to clean up the extra pots etc.. ;-) but it would be quicker