Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Apple and cinnamon hand pies, a special dessert or a quick snack

It's been a very busy month! Hubby had 3 weeks at home then 2 weeks at a course in Brisbane which made it that he was closer to home which was great. I was able to go up and stay with him in his hotel. We did the city living thing, eating out for dinner and breakfast, I did some serious shopping with my girl Jo who lives up there. It was like a semi holiday and a good break from my beloved kitchen and food preparation for my family. 
We've also had his parents here from South Australia for the month. They towed their caravan over and they are staying in a caravan park close by with their little dog Bubbles. So when we have been home we have been meeting up at our favourite cafe.. it our hangout!! Scooters at Kirra.. best green tea, coffee, food, service and the most amazing people.. we love it!! 
On Monday night we had a family dinner with his mum and dad. I made the one and only dish I had to master when I first met my hubby, it was his favourite dish his mum used to make for him. It took a couple of goes but I mastered it and gave them my version of it, thank goodness it was a hit. 
For dessert I had some organic granny smith apples left over from my order last week so made up these little pies... it was a good night and now they have all gone back and I have all this time on my hands to do what I love doing.. blogging, exercising and looking after my Jordi!! .. lucky these things keeps me busy, cos I do miss them! .. 


The combination of tart granny smith apples with caramel coconut sugar and pure vanilla powder is taken to another level with the addition of freshly ground almonds I had activated and dried, enclosed in a light crunchy pastry these are perfect for dessert or a snack.
I served them hot with vanilla coconut ice cream and they were coming back for seconds. They would also be perfect with custard, yoghurt or cream..


Apple and cinnamon hand pies

Makes: 12 x 6cm x 6cm pies

Ingredients:

3 organic granny smith apples
3 tbs coconut sugar
½ tsp vanilla powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbs organic butter or coconut oil
3 tbs ground almonds
1 ½ sheet puff pastry
Coconut cinnamon sugar to dust

Preparation:
  1. Peel and chop the apples into thin slice then drop into a small pot with the butter, add the sugar, vanilla and cinnamon and cook on low until soft and gooey. About 15-20 minutes.
  2. Take off the heat and add the almond meal, stir to combine. It will thicken up. Let it cool for 5-10 minutes while you pastry softens and the oven heats up .. yep get it going .. 180oc!
  3. Cut the pastry into small squares, I used a ravioli cutter the measurements are 6cm x 6cm. You can also cut to the size you wish.
  4. Place a tablespoon of apple mixture into the center of half the pastry squares then brush around the edges with egg white, place the blank pastry squares on top and stretch them over the apple mix and seal around the edges.
  5. Place all of the handpies onto a greased baking tray or baking paper lined tray. Brush the tops with more egg white then sprinkle with coconut sugar cinnamon mix
  6. Bake until the pastry is browned and crisp, about 25-30 minutes. Keep an eye on them as you don’t want them to burn.
About to go in the pre heated oven
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)