Thursday, July 18, 2013

Grain free waffle, veggie medley, poached egg and avocado breakfast plus a healthy tip to start your day

My creative mind wakes me up early each morning getting all excited about creating something new and special for breakfast or brunch! I love making up new recipes early in the day.. it's my happy place, me, my kitchen and the beautiful view outside my kitchen window. Perfect start to the day... while I devour green tea one after the other!!
Oops! I nearly forgot, first up is my half squeezed lemon in room temperature water. There are so many benefits to this I want to encourage you to do the same if your not already.

Here's why:

  1. Enhances digestion and helps to relieve bloating and clear out the system
  2. Vitamin C to boost immunity, reguvinate skin and promote healing
  3. Alkalizing which means it helps to balances pH levels and remove acidity from the body, great for healthy joints and inflammation
  4. Energising
  5. Natural diuretic

and I bet there are a lot more reasons but this little list is enough to encourage me to do it!!

Sooo, back to my yummy breakfast recipe.. let me say this now.. I love my cheap little Aldi waffle maker!! but I don't like that my family don't like sweet breakfasts! so I have to improvise and create savoury things which is pretty good really as there are so many sweet waffle and pancakes recipes around and it's much better for us to try and keep sugar to a minimum. This leaves me an opening to create sweet afternoon treats which is when there sweet tooth's have kicked in and no one overdoes the sugar thing. Balance is key!!

Not only are these waffles grain free, sugar free and dairy free they are also quick, easy and versatile as is the rest of the recipe, make it for lunch or dinner if you wish. It's also low calorie, high in protein and alkalizing and full of phytonutrient rich vegetables!!

Grain free waffle, veggie medley, poached egg and avocado breakfast stack
Serves: 2

Waffles

Ingredients:

2 tbs almond meal
1 tbs coconut flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp ground garlic
2 eggs
Salt and pepper to taste – use good quality salt

Preparation:
  1. Preheat a waffle iron
  2. Add all dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir, then add the eggs and mix it until it is thick and well combined
  3. Add half to a greased waffle iron and bake until cooked through following the instructions of your waffle maker

Vegetable medley

Ingredients:

1 tomato
2-3 mushrooms
½ zucchini
3 slice eggplant
3 celery leaves
¼ onion
½ tsp crushed garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
Sprinkle of mixed herbs – fresh or dried
½ avocado
2 cups fresh mixed greens or baby spinach
Raw apple cider vinegar

Preparation:
  1. Add chopped vegetable to a pot with 1-2cm of boiling water then turn heat to medium. Cook until soft and the water has evaporated, about 5-10 minutes then add salt, pepper and herbs, mix through then slide onto the warm waffle
  2. In another pot poach egg gently in simmering water with a teaspoon of vinegar or a poachie bag (which is what I did) then spoon onto plate with vegetable and waffle then add fresh greens, sliced avocado a sprinkle of raw apple cider vinegar on the greens and season to taste.

NOTES:
  1. If you don’t have a waffle iron you can cook them like a pancake, remembering not to have the heat up too high or they will burn on the outside and be raw in the center
  2. My favourite salts are Himalayan pink, Celtic and Kalahari – these are full of minerals and alkalizing
  3. You can add more flavour to the vegetable medley, Cajun, Moroccan and Italian would all work well.
  4. I keep my raw apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it on.. It’s convenient and easy.
  5. Poachie bags are available at good supermarkets. ( confession - I didn't buy mine, my mum left a packet here when she visited!)


 Enjoy! 
PS. If your not already doing it don't forget your lemon water tomorrow morning... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)