Healthy low fat, high protein kangaroo and lentils in the mince with extra vegetables and a bright orange topping of low gi, antioxidant rich sweet potato mash to top off my version of Cottage pie.
Kangaroo, lentil and sweet potato cottage pie
500g kangaroo mince
1 onion diced
1 carrot diced
Handful celery leaf chopped
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 tbs mixed dried herbs
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
2 slice pancetta or bacon diced
2 large tsp tomato paste
2 large tbs homemade tomato sauce
1 tin brown lentils, rinsed and drained
¼ cup Juice from sauerkraut or water
2 sweet potatoes
1 tbs butter
Fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano – 1/3 cup grated + extra for topping
- Heat a medium pot to high heat then add the kangaroo mince, keep stirring the mince until it is all browned and releases from the bottom of the pot then add the diced pancetta or bacon, onion, carrot and celery leaf and cook on medium for 5 minutes or until soft the add garlic, herbs and cook for another 2 minutes whilst stirring it in so that it doesn't catch on the bottom of the pot. Add the remaining ingredients; stir them in the cook on low for ¾ hr
- In another pot at the peeled and sliced sweet potato, add enough water to just cover and boil on medium until soft, drain the water then return to the stove to evaporate the traces of water whilse adding the butter and Parmigiano-Reggiano (parmesan cheese) then blend with a stick blender until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the mince/lentil mixture into a pie dish and level it with a spoon. Add the mashed sweet potato to a piping bag and pipe onto the top of the mince the grate or zest some more Parmigiano-Reggiano over the potato and bake on 150oc for half an hour or until crispy on top. Serve with a salad or steamed broccoli and enjoy!
- Kangaroo mince is very low in fat so when you add the mince to the pot it will stick, be patient as when the juices come out it will release from the bottom of the pot
- If you don’t have or can’t get Parmigiano-Reggiano the parmesan is fine.
Left overs are great reheated for lunch the next day... Enjoy!