Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Streusel topped banana date cake - grain free, protein enhanced, low fructose and processed sugar free

Oops!! I was supposed to post this last week but its been a crazy busy week, family down from Darwin, my man home for his week off, catch ups with friends.. that's important you know!! ;-)  but now they are all gone and it just me, my little Jstar is down at Threadbo snowboarding so the cat and the dog are my company!
I love that I can do lots of healthy grain free, low fructose and generally super healthy treats and mains when my man is home. Here is a cake a did up last week that was really nice, it lasted well and like all of my cakes is fairly quick and easy.
This cake is delicious and moist with a good amount of sweetness, not sickly sweet! The home-ground almond meal leaves little crunchy bits and the streusel topping adds a  nice  crunchy touch even though it doesn't come out really crumbly.


Streusel topped banana date cake
Ingredients:

Dry ingredients

1 cup freshly ground almond meal (or store bought)
¼ cup coconut flour
½ cup xylitol or coconut sugar
2 tbs protein powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 tsp bi-carb soda
1 tsp each of cinnamon and vanilla powder
½ tsp mixed spice

Wet mix

2 small ripe bananas
¾ cup pitted dates
2 free range eggs
½ cup coconut oil
2 tbs goji berries (optional)
1 tbs chia
2 tbs honey + 1 tbs extra

Streusel topping

2 tbs ground almonds
4 tbs coconut shreds
1 tbs coconut oil
2 tbs honey
½ tsp each of cinnamon and vanilla power

Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 180oc
  2. Add all dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix with a whisk to combine and aerate
  3. Then add all wet ingredients to a good blender and blend until smooth then add to the dry ingredients and gently fold through until thoroughly combined
  4. Spoon half into a greased or baking paper lined cake tin and drizzle the extra tablespoon of honey over the top then add the rest of the mix.
  5. In the same bowl add all of the streusel ingredients and  mix, I found it easier to do this bit with my hands then spread over the cake
  6. Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)