Saturday, July 6, 2013

Healthy walnut and cinnamon topped Banana cake - low GI, fructose and a metabolism boosting ingredient!

Banana Cake... everyone loves banana cake. Even people that don't like bananas!! and isn't it funny that the best banana cakes are made out of the most disgusting looking overripe squishy and gooey bananas. Well I actually think these are the best ones to eat but then not everyone has the refined taste buds that I have.. ;-)
End of week, need snack for Mrs Jstar, got super ripe bananas, so here is the cake. It's pretty damn healthy too, organic spelt flour, low GI, low fructose coconut sugar, metabolism boosting coconut oil and insulin balancing cinnamon!! Gotta be happy about that!!

 Walnut, cinnamon and coconut sugar topped banana cake

Ingredients:

Dry ingredients

3/4 cup organic white spelt flour
3/4 cup organic whole spelt flour
1 1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp baking  powder - aluminium free
1/4 tsp bi-carb soda - aluminium free
1 tsp vanilla powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Wet ingredients

2 large very ripe bananas
2 free range eggs
1/2 cup coconut oil

Preparation:

Pre heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350F)
Mix all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl making sure there are no lumps
Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients
Blend all wet ingredients in a blender then pour into the middle of the dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined
Sprinkle walnuts, cinnamon and coconut sugar into a greased bundt tin or cake tin of you choice
Then pour the wet mix into the tin and level the top
Bake for about 40 minutes. It is cooked when it springs back when you gently press it and it smells amazing.

Enjoy!

Keep your eyes peeled.. I am going to be adding more fitness stuff with videos showing and explaining how to do the exercises plus trying my hardest to motivate you in my rather abrupt manner.. it comes with love.. xx k

3 comments:

  1. I was under the impression agave wasn't all that good for you......

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very high in fructose, much higher than sugar even and for some that is a problem. I do try to keep fructose low when I prepare food for my family but when and if I do use it I only use a very good quality one that has been processed at below 41 degrees Celsius to keep the nutrition intact. I prefer dark agave which still has the minerals in it. On a whole I prefer not to use it. :-)
    PS The agave I have at the moment was given to me to try in some recipes, I actually didn't buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS as you can see most of my recipes use coconut sugar, fruits or xylitol which is fructose free. I also have stevia but my family aren't that keen on it... I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)