Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Chocolate chai prune tarts - Antioxidant rich, easy raw vegan treats


Did you know that prunes have more antioxidants than blueberries!! Tufts University in Boston rates prunes as the No 1 food in terms of antioxidant capacity. They're also low GI and have a low GL (Glycemic load) making then good for diabetics as they don't  cause a rapid raise in insulin. There also a good source of Vitamins A and K and minerals potassium, boron, copper and magnesium. Boron and potassium are great for bone health making them good for preventing osteoporosis. So, there you go, these little fibre filled goodies are not only tasty and good for constipation.

I bought a packet of organic prunes and I keep forgetting to use them. I don't know what I thought I was going to do with them when I bought them but I got some inspiration yesterday and threw these little tarts together for an afternoon snack.. If you like prunes and you like chocolate you will love these. I added some agave to enhance the sweetness as prunes are not really that sweet so if you don't like your sweets too sweet! then you may not need it. I think it enhances the taste of the chocolate. If your a mega sweet tooth like me you may want to add more. My hubby's got better taste buds than me so I have make sure I don't overdo it.

These tarts are soft and gooey on the inside with a nice chewy crust. They only took me about 20 minutes to make with my tribest blender.. love that little baby!

 Chocolate chai prune tarts
Makes: 2 x 8cm tarts

Ingredients:

Base:
½ cup activated almonds (normal is ok)
½ cup pitted dates
1 tbs dried coconut
½ tsp vanilla powder

Filling:
1/3 cup raw cashews
¼ cup pitted dates
1 chai tea bag + 50ml hot water
1/3 tsp each of vanilla powder and ground cinnamon
½ tsp mesquite
10 pitted prunes
2 tbs agave
2 tsp raw cacao powder

Preparation:

Before you start put the cashews and dates for the filling into the large cup of your blender then add the strong chia tea made with 50ml of hot water. Once it has cooled a little add it to the cashews and dates to soften them. You want it quite warm so it works quite quickly.

Base:
Add all ingredients to a personal blender (tribest) and blend until sticky. Make sure that you shake the blender up and down vigorously to help distribute the ingredient so that they blend evenly and don’t just get stuck at the bottom. When fine and sticky press into 2 x 8cm tart molds then put in the freezer while you prepare the filling

Filling
Remove the tea bag from the cashews and dates then blend until super smooth and creamy. Now add the rest of the ingredients and continue to blend until you get it super smooth again then just pour or spoon it into the tart shells. Garnish with some cacao nibs and coconut if you wish the return to the fridge or freezer depending how you like you tarts. If you like the warm and gooey, then you can devour straight away.. J enjoy!


Enjoy this super healthy, high fibre treat! 

NOTE: If there are any ingredients listed in this recipe that you cannot purchase in your area you will find them available online at Raw Pleasure. They have a $10 flat rate shipping charge. No, I am not an affiliate but I know the frustration of not being able to purchase unusual healthy ingredients. PS If they get an affiliate program happening I will be the first one on board and I will get you know.. :-) 

this recipe has been submitted to Weekend wellness  and at Raw Foods Thursdays

5 comments:

  1. They absolutely yummy and I love prunes so they have to be a winner.

    Thanks for sharing

    cheers
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome Fi. If you love prunes you will love these.. what a bonus that they are so healthy.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great recipe! Would you like to share this at Raw Foods Thursdays? We'd love to have you join in! Last Thursday's link is still open.

    http://www.glutenfreecat.com/2013/08/raw-foods-thursdays-82913/

    Hope to see you there!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, thank you for contacting me. I'd love to, I will do it asap. Love your blog..

      I'll be there.. :-)
      Karen

      Delete
    2. Thank you!! I can't wait to make these!!

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)