Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Raw choc dipped strawberry jam filled protein cookies

I like to make food that fits into our healthy, active lifestyle and supports our nutritional needs which is why a lot of my sweet treats have added protein and are made with healthy fats and carbohydrates... it disguises a well balancing snack as a treat!

I made these cookies on the weekend with the strawberries I had left over from last week that I'd bought for my hubby who was away, so they needed to be used. This is a good way of him still being able to enjoy them. These cookies have chewy chunks of dehydrated fresh strawberries chunks in them combined with the goodness of nuts, chia and vegan protein powder with a dollop of chewy chia strawberry jam in the centre with the crunchy chocolate bottom they are a wicked treat that's actually very nourishing. They are delicious on there own but adding the chocolate coating makes them pretty special.. strawberries! chocolate! Perfect match!

Raw choc dipped strawberry jam filled protein cookies

Make: 11-12 cookies

Ingredients:

Cookies:

¾ cup pitted dates
2 tbs chia
1 cup mixed soaked and air-dried nuts (I kept a cup out before dehydrating the rest for my pantry stores)
3 tbs strawberry chia jam - recipe below
100 ml dried coconut
1 scoop protein powder
4 fresh strawberries – diced
11 tsp chia jam
Chocolate:
1/3 cup cacao paste
¼ cup agave, honey or sweetener of your choice
¼ tsp vanilla powder and cinnamon

Preparation:

Cookies:
  1. Soak the dates and chia in ½ cup water for 3-5 hours or until soft
  2. Add nuts to a small food processor and blend until fine, then add the chia jam, coconut, vanilla and blend until smooth. Now add the protein  powder and blend until it is all mixed in and smooth, you may have to push it down and/or stir it a bit to help it incorporate into the mix.
  3. Take the blade out and stir in the diced strawberries by hand then roll into palm sized ball with damp hand and press down into a cookie shape on a teflex sheet and press an indent into the centre with your fingers are the back of a spoon. Then add a tsp of chia jam to the center of each cookie and dehydrate on 130 degrees Celsius for 18-24hrs.
  4. Alternatively you can press them into a latex donut pan and dehydrate for 6-8 hours or until they come out of the mold easily then add the jam and continue to dehydrate until firm and chewy, about 24-36hrs depending on environmental conditions.

Chocolate:
  1. Place cookies in the freezer so that they are cold then add all chocolate ingredients to a pyres or heat proof dish and place in the oven on its lowest temperature until it has melted. Once melted stir  and leave to cool until it is a little bit firmer but not to firm as you don’t want it going cold and not spreading nicely onto the cookies
  2. Take the cookies from the freezer and dip them in the chocolate 2-3 times letting the chocolate cool and harden between dips to get a nice thick coating. Place on a piece of baking paper on a plate then put them back in the freezer to harden… Viola.. Enjoy!


Strawberry chia jam
Ingredients:

1 punnet fresh strawberries
2 tbs chia
4-6 tbs honey, agave or sweetener of you choice
1/3 tsp vanilla powder

Preparation:

  1. Clean and remove leaves from strawberries. 
  2. Add chia to the large cup of a personal blender and blend until fine the add the remaining ingredients a blend until smooth. Adjust sweetness to your liking the pour into a clean sterilised glass jar and refrigerate. It will thicken a little more.

NOTES:

  1. I use mixed nuts to so that we get a good variety of nutrition, selenium form the Brazil etc.
  2. I used vanilla pea protein powder. If you want it to be 100% raw then you can use the sprouted rice proteins.. If you haven't seen them you can get them here
  3. when I made this I used 3 tbs of chia but I think it was too thick so I've only put 2 in the recipe.
  4. If you want your Jam to be low fructose you can use xylitol. 
  5. Other sweetens to consider are soaked dates which will make the jam darker or coconut sugar which is also darker but will add a nice caramel flavour!! - might do that one next time. :-)
  6. If chocolate is not your thing then leave them without, they are great like that as well - I'm not a chocolate fan but my family are!! 

Cookies without chocolate
Enjoy!

Please feel free to pin and share my recipes if you wish.. :-) thanks..

PS the links I have added are to show and explain the products to those that have never seen or heard of them before, you don't have to  purchase from but I can recommend them as they supply me with most of my raw ingredients and I've always been very happy with them. I don't get anything for you purchasing from them... Just saying. :-) 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)