Saturday, August 3, 2013

Raw crackers! Fresh Rosemary, chili and rocket omega 3 crackers

Its a beautiful Saturday morning and I am always grateful for where I live; the ocean, the hinterland, the sunshine, the rain, my wonderful husband, my gorgeous family, an abundance of fresh and organic food to choose from, plus my health. These are things that regularly make my Gratitude list! Yes, I do a little gratitude list everyday and have done so for about 3-4 years. It's right there in my dairy next to my 'To do list" Some days the list is long, others it's short. Some days I can't think of anything but by the afternoon I get a burst and all of a sudden I will add heaps of things to the list. There's always something to be grateful for and it's such a positive start to the day.. along with my lemon in water followed by a good strong Green tea.. 

Now to the other joy in my life.... Creating healthy food!! I have been doing a lot more raw food lately. I'm always very high raw, I only have 2 cooked dinners each week. This winter though I have been enjoying a cooked brunch, my eggs and veggies have been warm and comforting in this cold house of mine.. 

Let me tell you!.. I've made some crackers in my time so its been a while but I actually felt like making some. I made these crackers a few weeks ago, it was pretty funny actually, my husband went into a cold sweat when he found out I was making crackers.. I said it ok!! it's only a small batch, only about 2 trays worth. He had visions of when I created and owned Kitz Living Foods.. it's was crackers coming out of our ears!! One batch would fill up anywhere from 6 to 10 dehydrators.. that even sends shivers up my spine now! lol 

These crackers are full of omega 3. Gluten and grain free with no nasty additives. Made from fresh ingredients that are all easy to get if you don't have them growing in you backyard!! Lucky you if you do! Oh! and these crackers might have disappeared late one night loaded up with avocado.. was very nice and digested well.. a biggy for me!! I always wonder, how do you like to eat you raw crackers?

Fresh Rosemary, chili and rocket omega 3 crackers

Makes: Makes 1 dehydrator try (about 16-20 square crackers)

Ingredients:

120 ml flax seed
120 ml chia seeds
½ cup walnuts
½ onion
1 large red chilli
1 tbs at least of fresh rosemary leaves
1 tsp Celtic, Himalayan or Kalahari salt
Large handful of fresh rocket
½ stick of celery
1 tomato
½ tsp crushed garlic or 1 small clove

Preparation:
  1. Add the seeds to a small bowl and cover with fresh water 2-3 cm over the seeds, soak for at least 2-3 hours. In a separate bowl soak the walnuts in fresh water for the same amount of time (you can also soak overnight)
  2. Add all of the remaining ingredients to a food processor and blend until you have a chunky salsa like mix then add the rinsed and drained walnuts and the chia/flax seed mix that will have absorbed all of its water to the food processor and blend until smooth with a little bit of texture.
  3. Using a spatula spread the cracker mix onto a teflex sheet about ¾ cm thick then cut into crackers, then you can scour them in half if you want crackers that you can break into small pieces for dipping.
  4. Dehydrate at 45-50oc for 8 hours then remove teflex sheet and turn temperature down to 41oc until they are crisp. You will have to take one out and let it cool to see if it is really crisp as the cooled crackers are crunchier than when they are warm! Usually.. ;-)
  5. Let cool and store in an airtight container. 

Crackers ready to go into the dehydrator
Please feel free to pin this recipe if you like it and subscribe to my blog so that you never miss one of my recipes. 





2 comments:

  1. Never put walnut, nor chia in my crackers. Good idea. I will surely make a batch maybe 2.....why not. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes if you like your crackers then definitely make 2! It's only small batch and they do taste great with the walnuts.. :-)

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)