Monday, August 19, 2013

Roast veggies, sardines and spicy pea sauce

Wow, what a beautiful Sunday  it was. Little flossy and I had a lovely walk after I'd made a smoothie and breakfast for Jstar before he headed off to his new job... which he really likes! How could you not, he's started working at Scooters at Kirra. It's the best cafe around. The location, people, staff and atmosphere make it feel like you going to meet up with friends.. It's our hangout when my man is home from work...and sometimes when he's not!!! ;-)


I had a huge eggplant I needed to use and I love baked eggplant, actually I love baked veggies. I'd made the pea sauce in the arvo for a quick snack and half way through baking the veggies decided a spicy peas sauce would be awesome on my veggies, add a little protein.. sardines, not only do I love them but they are a good source of sustainable omega 3 fats and this dinner was amazing. I'm blogging it today for me!! to make sure I have it in my mobile online cookbook!

If you want you can cut up the eggplant early and sprinkle salt on it. Let it sit for half an hour then rinse off the salt and prepare as instructed. They say this take the bitterness out of the eggplant and makes it nice and creamy. I haven't really noticed that much difference when I do it so I don't really think it's that important.

This meal is easy, the longest part of it is the baking of the veggies. It was so delicious and creamy and the spicy pea sauce compliments it well with the extra baked garlic. I am going to make this for Craig when he's home, I think he will really like it.

Roast veggies, sardines and spicy pea sauce

Serves: 1

Ingredients:

3 x 2cm thick slices lengthwise of a large eggplant
1 small zucchini
1-2 tomatoes
2 mushrooms
½ small beetroot
Small piece of pumpkin
1/3 red capsicum (pepper)
1 garlic clove
Seasoning – I used Aussie BBQ seasoning and chilli seasoning
1 tin sardines in springwater

Sauce:

½ cup peas - I used frozen
½ cup cauliflower
½ garlic cloves
2 slices ginger
½ tsp smoked paprika
Chilli- with fresh, dried or a chilli seasoning
1/3 tsp Himalayan, Celtic of Kalahari salt and pepper to taste
Little squeeze fresh lemon juice
2 tbs water

Preparation:

Veggies:
Slice all veggies to approximately the same size and lay out on a baking tray, I lay mine on baking paper for easy cleaning and so that it doesn't stick. Slice the garlic and add to the tray then sprinkle dried mixed herbs and  salt and pepper over them and bake until all of the veggies are soft, about ½ hr on 200oc.

Sauce:
Defrost the peas in warm water then drain. Add them to the large cup of a personal blender (I use the tribest) along with the remaining sauce ingredients and blend until smooth.

Plate up:
Lay the veggies on your plate spreading them evenly, drain the sardines and place them over the veggies then pour the sauce over the lot. Adjust season again if you are a salt addict like me and enjoy while it’s hot.

NOTES:
  1. If sardines are not you thing this would work well with tuna, salmon or chicken.
  2. I use the Aussie BBQ and Hot chilli seasoning from Aldi, they did them as a special for Australia day, they have no fillers, preservative or additives and the salt is Himalayan Pink!! J
  3. You could roast some extra garlic and use that in your sauce, I used raw garlic but I think next time ill use the baked.
  4. Personal blenders are the ones like the “magic bullet” if you are serious about eating healthy and make your own sauce, dips, dressing and smoothies I suggest you invest in the tribest, it does such a good job. I've broken more magic bullets that you can poke a stick at, I just can’t wreck my tribest!! It’s amazing and has ended up being much cheaper that the rest as I've only needed the one! 

on our walk at the half way mark!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)