Monday, September 16, 2013

Amazing yeast free, mixed nut and seed pizza base

I hope you all had a great weekend.. I certainly did. A lovely drive out to M'bah on Saturaday to do some op shopping.. I needed some new crockery for my food photo's. Things were starting to get a bit boring with my old stuff. I picked up some great bargains and a beautiful new wooden board. (it wasn't a bargain!) but I love natural elements in my photos and my man was outside on the phone so like all good wives.. I bought it!! 

As promised yesterday, here is the recipe for the fantastic pizza base I IG'd and FB'd yesterday. This one is a keeper.. I've made lots of grain free and gluten free bases but this one really deserves to be posted. 


I made this base last week when I made the Quinoa and mixed seed bread. I loooove this recipe. It's so super healthy, made from pure ingredients, has no yeast, is easy to make and lasts well. I am going to make up a batch and freeze them to see how that works. I'll let you know how it goes.

This little base was made from the leftovers from a loaf of bread. I added some extras and shaped it into a base and cooked it. It lasted well in the fridge for about 4 days before I made the pizza.

It's got great consistency for a gluten free, yeast free bread. It's pliable and doesn't fall apart when cut or held in your hand.

I am going to test a grain free loaf next.. so if grain free is important to you keep your eyes peeled, i'll be posting my results. Personally I think eliminating grains is a great idea. I don't eat them but my family do. To me this bread is a much better option than breads made with yeast, flour or any other grain. Quinoa is actually a seed but is higher in carbohydrate that most seeds and also has a good amount of protein. Oats are also high in carbohydrates and contain a fibre that is said to be excellent for reducing cholesterol. So everything healthy in moderation... Excepts for Greens and vegetables... smash those little suckers!  :-)

 Amazing yeast free, mixed nuts and seed pizza base

Make: 2 large or 4 small bases

Ingredients:

1 cup oats
1 cup quinoa flakes
1 cup pepitas (pumpkin kernels)
1 cup active almonds (normal is ok if you don’t have)
½ cup flax seeds
½ cup sunflower seeds
3 tbs psyllium
2 tbs chia seeds
3 tbs coconut oil
1 tbs mixed dried herbs
1-2 tbs garlic granules or fresh crushed garlic
1 tsp Himalayan, Herbamare, Kalahari or Celtic salt
2 ½ cups water

Topping: (use your own but this is what is on the pizza shown here.. )
Chilli or tomato sauce
Sardines in tomato sauce
Mushroom
Red capsicum (pepper)
Grated cheese
Extra sprinkle of mixed herbs, garlic granules and Himalayan salt
Chili seasoning

Preparation:

Add oats, quinoa flakes, pepitas and almonds to a food processor individually and grind into a fine meal/flour. You can also do this in a high speed blender. If you want you can do them all together but I think that doing them individually gets a much finer texture.

Add all of the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine the ingredients then add the water and stir again. Let it sit for 10 minutes to thicken then divide in half or quarters and spread onto making paper or a greased baking tray and shape into pizza bases. Let them sit for at least 2 hours.

Preheat your oven to 180oc then add the bases and cook for about 20-30 minutes or until they feel cooked through and a little browned on the outside.
You can use them straight away or store in the fridge until needed. They last 4-5 days.



 Yum.. Enjoy!




3 comments:

  1. I'm gonna try this tomoz night! Thanks Karen :) love your blog :) cass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cass.. I'm going to make some for Saturday night as well...let me know how yours goes.. :-) K

      Delete
  2. This pizza looks colourful and different, I wish to try this pizza too :) Click Here

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)