Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Chili sauce - refined sugar free and fructose free


I have another recipe.. so quickly you ask.. yep!! the old man has gone back to work and I'm catching up on lost time. I miss him though.. there was no one to go out for a cuppa this arvo or a picnic tomorrow. It's all good though, I like to work hard and feel like I deserve my days or half days off.

Just about every household needs a bottle or two of good chili sauce. Here's a recipe I do for my family. It's quick, easy and there's virtually no preparation except for rough chopping of an onion and some garlic. I use organic Passata, nothing from tins or can as I've explained in previous posts why I won't use tinned tomatoes. I  like to err on the safe side. We were told smoking was ok for us in the 60's!! I could go on and on but I won't!

I love how easy this is to make and the taste is great!! I just blend it with a stab blender the pour it into sterilised glass bottles. Craig has been using as salsa for his burrito's on Friday nights as well so it's pretty versatile.... like any good chili sauce I suppose!

This is a nice thick chili sauce that resembles tomato sauce, almost like a spicy tomato sauce. You can adjust the chili to your liking, my husband like his chili to have a bite so I added a fair bit, you want more or less.

No fuss, healthy chili sauce

Always use tomatoes that have been stored in glass.

Makes: 2 bottles about 250 to 350ml depending on how much you reduce it.

Ingredients:

1 bottle of Passata
1 medium onion sliced
1 tsp coconut oil
1 stick celery
1 large red chili
1 large clove garlic
1 2 cm knob of ginger
½ cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup coconut sugar or xylitol or stevia
3 tsp dried chili flakes or Fresh chili’s – up to you depending on how hot you want it.
1/3 tsp celery seeds
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon, cloves and allspice
1 tsp Celtic, Himalayan or Kalahari salt

Preparation:

Roughly chop all onion, celery, chili, garlic and ginger and add to a pot with the coconut oil and give it a quick fry off then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer on low with the lid ajar until it has reduced to about ½ to 2/3 depending on how thick you want your sauce. This can take about 45 minutes to an hour.
Blend with a stick blender or in a blender until smooth then bottle in sterilized bottles and store in the fridge.

NOTES:
  1. Use xylitol if you want it to be fructose free
  2. Use Stevia for sugar free and low calorie
  3. Coconut sugar is a good low gi sweetener, natural unprocessed and has great flavour
  4. When reducing and deciding on the consistency of your sauce take into account how you want to use it. If you want it to pour it out of a bottle then you will need it be a little runnier than if you want to store it in a jar and use a spoon to serve it.


I love flowers, as you can tell.. I picked this one on my way home from my Sunday walk, it was already on its way out so I figured I would bring it home a love it till its last day.. which as you can see is fast approaching. But like everything in nature I can still see beauty in it.. I hope you can too.. 
 Does anyone know what type of flower this is? :-) 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)