Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Luving Life Bread! Grain free and easy plus an update on our veggie garden with pic's.

I'm soo sorry!! I was meant to post this on Sunday! I had a busy day with my family and my hubby's not home much so I like to take advantage of the time we can spend together..


We had a great day on Saturday as well. Another drive out to M'bah where we visited an organic gardening center and got some marigolds and nasturtiums for pest control. Bonus is we can eat the nasturtiums. Apparently the leaves a high in Vitamin C. Everything is now planted in the new garden beds and it all looks great. Check out the photo's at the bottom.

Another highlight of the day was this bread!! It's been playing on my mind that the other bread I showed you was not grain free. I am a big believer in eliminating grains or at least cutting them back as much as you can. I personally do not eat them but my family do as they are not prepared to make the sacrificers when they are out so I try to keep them to a minimum at home and always use good quality. Preferably spelt which is an ancient grain and has not been genetically modified or organic.

For information on why I don't eat grains you can read this and this. You can also google it. There is tons of information out there.

Back to the bread!! My pantry was a bit bare, in that I was very low on nut and seeds. Both of which I usually have a lot of.   They are always soaked,sprouted and dehydrated then stored in sealed containers for convenience. I will add a link to my new Facebook page as to why I do this. I did my usual experimenting thing and just improvised with what I had. I really think this is the best grain free bread to date! And I've made a few. We are using it for everything. It's beautiful toasted, as is, or I smear it with organic butter then fry it and top it with cheese or avocado, smoked salmon and an egg for my hubby's breakfast. He loves it!

For a grain free, gluten free, egg free and dairy free bread the consistency is so like real bread it's amazing. It's soft in the center, pliable and doesn't fall apart when cut. Has a nice crust and is lasting well. The center is staying soft. I usually store it in the fridge. I'm testing this one in the pantry, it's been there since Saturday and it's still fine.

 Luving Life Bread
Best bread yet! Grain free, yeast free, dairy free, bean free

Makes: 1 17cm x 8cm loaf

Ingredients:
1 cup almonds – preferably activated
1 cup raw cashews
½ cup coconut flour
1 cup flaxseed - Ground 1/2 
1/3 cup chia seeds
¼ cup psyllium
2 large tbs coconut oil soft (4 if it is melted)
1 tsp salt – Himalayan, Celtic or Kalahari
2 1/2 cups filtered water

Preparation:
In a food processor ground almonds, cashews and 1/2 cup of the flaxseed into a fine meal then tip into a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining dry ingredients along with the other half of unground flaxseed and stir to combine all of the ingredients. Add the water and stir it through. Let it sit for about 5 minutes to thicken then press into a baking paper lined or greased 17cm x 8cm bread tin and let sit for at least 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 180oc then bake for 1 hour, turn down to 150oc and continue to bake for another 20 minutes then remove from the pan, pull the paper away from the sides and bake for another 10 minutes to create a nice crunchy crust. Or tap it with the back of your fingers, when it sound hollow it is cooked.

Let cool for about 10 minutes then you can enjoy nice hot bread with your favorite topping.. we had organic butter and honey! .. Avocado or vegemite would also be pretty yummy.. enjoy!

Veggie Garden update...

Here are some pictures of our new veggie garden being planted out. We have tomatoes, capsicum (pepper), eggplant, zucchini, cucumber, butternut pumpkin, a variety of lettuces, chives, parsley, basil, sage, oregano, chard, kale and the nasturtiums and marigold to help with pest control. Oh, I nearly forgot.. I also have garlic growing in the bed next to the fence which is also supposed to help with pests and is a good companion plant.

Converting our backyard into a veggie garden was my husbands idea. We are both very conscience of the environment, sustainability and eating locally grown produce. Not to mention our desire to only eat organically grown produce.. doesn't everyone want that? We already had the boards in our backyard which we obtained for a carton when they replaced the Kirra boardwalk. The stairs and boardwalk you see here are also make from them. So all we had to get was the hay, organic fertilizer, potting mix and whatever else he needed to set up the No-dig beds... oh yeah! seedlings. So I will be letting him do it all as it gives me time to keep up to date with my blogging, cooking and creating which I love to do. I'm really excited as I will be able to use the produce from our own garden to create some new recipes.


 Here's the main man doing his thing.. 



Our little mate was there keeping an eye on us, making sure we did things properly.. this is Cooli. Our everloving, extremely demanding cat!

Has anyone else converted their backyard into a food producing haven and if you have how is it going? 

This recipe has been submitted to Weekend Wellness

2 comments:

  1. Just made your luvin life bread. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic, I'm glad you like it, we love it. There's always a loaf in our fridge. Thank you for the feedback.. :-) Enjoy.

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)