Sunday, September 1, 2013

MyAjvar - Eggplant, red capsicum and tomato relish.



Oh Wow!! it's another gorgeous day here on the sunny Gold Coast! Feeling blessed once again to live in such a beautiful place. My little side kick and I have been for our Sunday morning walk. The cafes and restaurants are buzzing and the beaches and picnic tables are busy with Fathers Day celebrations. It's a tad windy but that's ok.

This my version of a versatile delight I have discovered and how exciting because it comes from my Croatian roots. Thanks to Sonia from Scooters at Kirra for introducing it to us. She has a fantastic range of deli goods at the back of the cafe/restaurant, you've got to check them out if your in the area.

I had to make this yesterday because I have a some of Mama's homemade Ajvar and I just kept eating it out of the jar. It's just beautiful. I love the simple rich flavours of roasted vegetables, especially eggplant, garlic and sweet red capsicum. I have added tomato to mine which is not traditional but I do like it. Next time I will try it without. This recipe is so simple and easy to make. I didn't add any oil to mine. The ingredients on the jar includes sunflower oil. I don't buy or use sunflower oil as it is quite high in omega 6 and I have read that we consume too much omega 6 which is causing a lot of health problems. They say that the optimal ratio of omega 6 to 3 is 1:1, latest research say society is consumer anywhere from 10:1 to 20:1 In short the result of this is that it is a associated with all inflammatory diseases which include cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, obesity, metabolic syndrome, IBS & IBD, macular degeneration, arthritis, asthma, cancer, psychiatric disorders and autoimmune diseases!!
Hence all the who-har about chia, flax and oily fish to raise omega 3 which is non-inflammatory ! Plus I like the idea of adding fresh extra virgin olive oil to a dish just before plating to get the full benefits of the nutrition and flavour.

 Myajvar 
pronounced my-ay-var
Makes: 2 medium jars

Ingredients:

1 eggplant sliced 2cm thick
3-4 red capsicum (peppers) seeded and quartered
4-6 cloves of garlic
Fresh herbs – I used rosemary, sage and oregano
½ tsp Celtic sea salt

Preparation:

Spread all of the vegetables, garlic and herbs onto a baking tray, I lined mine with baking paper for easy cleaning. Bake on 180-200oc until all veggies are soft and cooked. This took about ¾ to an hour. Let them cool then peel the skin off the garlic and add it all to a blender with the salt and gently, on the lowest setting blend it making sure that you leave some chunky textural pieces in the mix. Pour and spoon into sterilised jars and keep in the fridge. 

  Veggies just after baking, I had to stop myself from devouring them straight of the baking tray.. I love baked veggies!! 
Some of the things I collect on my morning walks.... :-) 
and my little sidekick.. Roxi Ann.. (who needs a bath, a brush and a visit to the pooch parlour!!)

Hope your all enjoying this lovely fathers day.. I will have to celebrate it for the father of my tribe next Sunday when he is home.. xx

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen! :) I would like to know for how long it can stay in the fridge before opening the jars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you put it into sterilized jars while its hot then I'm sure it would make a good seal. I think you'd get at least a month in the fridge, possibly more. Mine never lasts that long. :-) PS the salt would also help to preserve it.

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)