Friday, September 27, 2013

Smoked salmon breakfast tarts - grain free


I reached a milestone in my instagram last night... 2000 followers!! whoa! :-) I feel like I owe everyone something so I've been going like a trooper in my kitchen this morning. Two new sweet tarts for my 'Little book of tart!' and I was determined to come up with a good savoury tart for breakfast. I want to do them for Christmas. Something a bit different but still with all the flavours everyone enjoys.. and my sneaky way of getting them to have a grain free breaky! ;-)

I had a go at these yesterday. If you follow me on FB or IG then you would have seen them. I didn't say much about them because I really wasn't that happy with the crust. The filling was good and I think I'll use it again, maybe with this new one. Lookout!! There might be some savoury tart recipes popping up in the future. I'd like to do 2 different varieties for christmas.. one vego and one for the meat eaters!! (Won't be bacon though, unless I find a nitrite/nitrate free one)

The reason I am going to post this recipe is because they got the seal of approval from my inhouse Food critique!! A-La-Jordi!! If you have a fussy teenager that you feel my pain! I saw a post last night from another mother that had spend hours on a beautiful meal for her family and all she got was a big "Blah!" for it!! Yep, I felt her pain but for some reason it just makes us more determined. We brush it off and instantly the mind is thinking.. "OK, what can I do to give this the wow factor!"

Here is the result of my determination to master this tart..

 Smoked salmon breakfast tarts

Makes: 4 x 4cm tarts or 2 x 14cm tarts

Ingredients:

Base:
½ cup ground almonds
½ cup coconut flour
½ tsp Herbamare or salt
½ tsp vegetable Vegeta
1 tsp organic butter
One egg

Filling:
2 tbs cottage cheese
1 tbs cream
1 egg
1 slice cheese
Salt to taste
2-4 slices smoked salmon
2 eggs for the large one – optional if you are doing the larger tarts.

Preparation:

Base:
Add the almonds to a high speed blender or food processor and blend until fine or you can use almond flour. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and blend to combine the flavours. Then add the butter and egg and blend until it forms dough. Press the dough into the tart molds. Tip… Don't make them too thick! Then place them in the fridge to get cold. About ½ to 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 180oc while you prepare the filling and cook the tarts crusts for 12 minutes then remove so that you can fill them.

Filling:
Add the cottage cheese, cream, egg, cheese and salt to a small blender and blend until smooth then pour into the warm tart shells. If you are doing the larger tarts and want to add the whole egg do it now. Lay slices of smoked salmon onto the filling then grate some extra cheese over the top and cook for 15 minutes or until the center is firm. Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before carefully removing from the tart shells and serving. Serve with some fresh greens. (Yep! My family often get fresh greens with their breakfast J )
Enjoy!

NOTES:
  1. I found a new Vegata stock powder that is all natural with no nasty’s. It was in Coles. You could also use Massel stock powder or some mixed herbs.
  2. If your blender or food processor doesn't blend the base completely remove the mix and knead it gently with your hands then press into the molds.
  3. Don't make the crust too thick. They are much nicer with a nice thin crust that doesn’t overpower the filling.
  4. If you are making the larger tarts then you may fit an egg in. Be careful not to overfill with the cheese filling or it will spill over the top. You could try adding the egg first then pouring the filling around it.
 OOPS!
Had a little accident with one of the tarts I did yesterday.. got my little floor cleaner in to help out!! 

have a great weekend.. :-) 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)