Saturday, September 21, 2013

Zucchini pasta, peas, olives and cauli cheese.. Plus an update on the garden.


Yesterday was a very productive day for our new productive backyard. I'm pretty damn excited that my hubby is getting into this new garden, I can cook and create in the kitchen while he grows all sorts of goodies for me to cook. The new gardens are coming on great guns. He had to rent a ute to get the bulk items required as we only have one car now and it's a new Subaru.. so, sorry!! No hay or chicken poo in my car thank you!! They boys headed out to Tumbulgum and Bunnings to get it all which makes for a nice drive as well. As you can see from the photo I've added at the bottom it's all ready for planting. We are starting with Zucchini, tomato, mixed lettuce, eggplant, capsicum, cucumber, butternut pumpkin and chives. They will all be planted today.

I've been inspired to make this recipe for a while and yesterday was the day!! It didn't take long, luckily!! cos I was hungry!! It's a light meal, which is how I like to eat during the day. But it would also be great with added protein, nuts, seeds or avocado.. I was going to add some pepitas but i've run out.. they all got used up in the bread! I've added some notes at the end of the recipe with suggestions for making it a proper meal and add in's for different diets.

At first I thought it was going to be a bit average but then I added some more savoury yeast flakes, himalayan salt and a few more peas and wow!! it ended up being great! The Black Bojita Olives are amazing.Olive are naturally high in beautifying oleic acid, and there also one of natures richest sources of vitamin E. Olive are also great mucus dissolvers. I made this with a new packet and they are soft and juicy and tastes amazing, much better than I even thought they'd be. Savoury yeast flakes upped the cheesy goodness while it also packs a good hit of protein as do the peas.

 Zucchini pasta, pea and olives with cauli cheese

Serves: 1

Ingredients:

One med to large zucchini
2 large cauliflowerettes
3 tsp savoury yeast flakes plus more to garnish
½ tsp turmeric
½ cloves crushed garlic
1 cm mashed ginger
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup green peas – defrosted

Preparation:

Peel zucchini and spiralize into spaghetti pasta with a spirooli, grater or spiralizer
Add remaining ingredients except peas and olives to a small food processor and blend until fine and crumbly. Don't overdo it or it will turn into a paste.
Sprinkle cauli cheese over zucchini pasta, and then add peas and diced olives. Garnish with chopped parsley, extra savoury yeast flakes, salt,  pepper and chili if you are a chili person!! Enjoy! 
 I love how zucchini noodles taste, texture and durability rivals stodgy ol grain pasta!! 

NOTES:
  1. If you can't get savoury yeast flakes you could try 1tsp lemon juice instead. Just watch that you don't add too much as it may go mushy. If that doesn't sound like your thing add your favourite seasoning. I think curry powder would also be ok.
  2. Add about 2-3 tbs of cashews, almonds, macadamias or brazil nut to the cauli cheese for a more substantial, healthy fats and added nutrition cauli cheese. Adding almonds would add calcium and brazils are high is selenium. 
  3. I used frozen peas but if you can get fresh.. Lucky you!! :-) 
  4. You could use any olive but I really love these ones.


Vegan: Add the nuts to the cauli cheese and sprinkle some extra pepitas on at the end.

Pescatarian/Paleo: Grate a boiled egg in with the cauli cheese or add a tin of drained tuna

Updates of the garden.. beds are ready to go!! 

Here is a picture of the olives I used ... always helps if you are looking for something new to know what it looks like.. or you can get them online

Enjoy!! 

this recipe has been submitted to 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)