Friday, October 11, 2013

Cocosupps!! Delicious way to get your supplements!


With the warm weather my coconut oil has melted and it's messed up my routine of grabbing a scoop of semi soft coconut oil and dipping it in hemp protein powder or seeds. I had to come up with an easy alternative.. and this is it!! I love them. I made the first batch then thought to myself.. "I can make these even better" I've been trying to think of a good way to get a little bit of spirulina and my green superfood blend in. I used to add them to my salads but I tend to eat way too much and it's not good for my digestion. Tummy gets very upset!! These have solved that problem!! but I must admit it's taking a bit of restraint not to sit down and devour the lot in one go!! Im lucky. I love this type of food.

They are a great source of healthy fats from the coconut oil.. Coconut oil is great for insulin resistance which makes it good for weight control and your metabolism. It also supports your immune system as it is has antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties. They even say it's good for fine lines and stops sugar cravings..maybe that's why I like it unsweetened.

Hemp protein, chlorella (in the green superfoods)  and spirulina are all great sources of protein that have a balanced pH. Most proteins are highly acidic which is not good for our health. They are ok to eat but it's best that you include some highly alkaline foods with them to balance it out.

If I was to go on about the benefits of the greens superfood powder I would be here all day.. I think we all know they are a powerhouse of nutrition and if you don't then believe me they are!!

Here is the quick and easy recipe. If you are bit squeamish with the ingredients I have added some options at the bottom that will help to make them more palatable.. with time you will develop a liking for the strong green powders. I used to have to hold my nose, now I'd spoon it out of the jar if I knew the fine powder wasn't going to choke me when I breathed in!!

Cocosupps 
Ingredients:

About 1/3 to 1/2 cup of coconut oil - melted but not hot!

Then add equal quantities of: Approx 3-4 tsp each

Spirulina
Green superfoods (a combination of chlorella, spirulina, barely grass, alfalfa adn organic marine plant minerals) 
Hemp protein powder 

You could also add:

Raw cacao powder
Maca
Maqui berry powder
Cinnamon
Stevia or raw honey to sweeten

Preparation:

Add the powders to the coconut oil then mix thoroughly then spoon into a silicon mold (chocolate molds work well) then place in the fridge to get firm. Pop then out and store in a sealed glass container in the fridge for summer. In winter they would be fine left in the pantry. (as long as you don't live in Darwin or Bali! ;-) )

All of these ingredients are beneficial to your health so don't feel that you are making them less healthy. The biggest advantage of making them like this is how easy it is to control the quantities you consume. I think I will try to make the chocolate ones for my family to help them get some extra goodness into their day! :-)

I have two in the morning and two at night.. (if I'm good! maybe I did have a few extras, but hey! there good for me so that's ok isn't it?)

Second batch in 4 days!! 

Next post I will add some photo's of the new garden.. the veggies are coming on great guns. I've been enjoying lots of fresh herbs and greens already. 
Enjoy your weekend.. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)