Friday, October 18, 2013

Fig and Walnut biscotti - grain free and low sugar


YEH!! We are getting some rain this morning. It has been sooo dry here I was getting close to organising a community rain dance to get things going. My weather app has forecast rain all day so here's hoping it happens.

I have a home gym with a good area to do my HIIT interval training so it doesn't worry me anymore if I can't get out for a walk. Lately I've actually been enjoying just smashing out a quick HIIT session anyway. I seem to alternate between Tabata and the Bodyrock format of 50secs on and 10sec off for 15 rounds. Today I think I'll do a Tabata.

After I can have a piece of my Fig and Walnut Biscotti! I made this the other day with the Luving Life bread mix. I keep a container of it in my fridge. I had this idea of making a grain free Biscotti. I've never made it before but I love the idea of it being this delicate little Italian biscuit that you have with a good coffee. Not that I drink coffee but it's still food with a GT (green tea) and how cute that the biscotti is actually healthy. I like that!!

If you are a real sweet tooth them I suggest you double the amount of honey in this recipe because it's not overly sweet. I think it has just enough but I know that a few people that have tried it would have liked it to be a bit sweeter. That can also be done by lightly toasting and adding some organic butter or coconut oil and some good raw honey. I think that's the perfect way to serve it as it suits everyone. The sweet tooths and the not so..

So here is the recipe for my version of a healthy biscotti. Grain free, low in sugar with crunchy walnuts and chewy figs! If you don't want to do the second step of crisping the slices in the oven you can also just slice them thinly and toast just before serving. That way they can be served nice and warm. Yum!

 Fig and Walnut Biscotti

Makes: Ew! I didn't count, but cut nice and thin it makes quite a few!!

Ingredients:

1/2 the mix from the Luving life bread or 2 cups
1 cup walnuts
1 cup dried figs halved
3 tbs honey - double if you are a sweet tooth
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla powder or paste
1 tsp lemon zest
3 free range eggs (you may only need 2 if you are doubling the honey!)

Preparation:

Step 1:
Throw all of the ingredients (gently :-) ) into a large mixing bowl and stir until thoroughly combined. It is a firm dough as you need to shape it free form onto a baking tray either greased or with baking paper. Form it into a log of about 5-7cm high and about 8-9cm wide then leave it to sit for about 30mins to an hour. Preheat your oven to 170 degrees celsius and bake for 35 mins. Remove and let cool for about 5-10 minutes

Step 2:
Cut into 5-7mm slices and lay them flat on the baking tray. Return to the oven and bake for approximately 15-20 minutes turning half way so that they become dry and crunchy. Keep an eye on them that they don't burn. Remove from the oven once done and let cool before storing in a sealed container.


NOTE:
  1. If you want you could make two loaves by using the full Luving life bread recipe then doubling the other ingredients except the eggs. For the eggs you should only need 4-5 depending on how much honey you use. 
  2. To make it vegan use agave, maple syrup or rice syrup and instead of the eggs use water, nut milk or coconut milk


Enjoy them warm, cold or hot with butter and honey 
Updated photo of your new veggie garden. As you can see it coming on great guns!! I took this one a week ago so it's a little more advanced than this pic. We have baby capsicum, cucumbers and zucchini's. I've also been eating lots of the fresh herbs and greens.. Love it! 

Enjoy and have a great weekend.. :-) 

This recipe has been submitted to
Weekend wellness



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)