Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Grain Free Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes



Yesterday was my mum's birthday and she was close by.. (she lives 2000km away from me!) Yeh!! She is down here with my sister and her two girls at a horse riding retreat about 75 minutes away. We'd had lunch the day before and they'd told me that they were going to try some new healthy food this week.. pretty big for them as i'd just witnessed them devouring hot chips and bacon burgers for lunch!! oh, and the restaurant had accidently put avocado in their burgers!! that was pretty stressful for them, they wouldn't even remove it as they didn't want to touch it.. I wondered if they'd even eat the burger after that!! They did. So as you can see I was on  mission to make something much healthier for them without them really knowing.. I also did up some of my Meat free sausage rolls and took my homemade tomato sauce for a little picnic we had.. And guess what!!! they like it all!! whoa!!

These cakes are nice and chocolatey and have a little bit of texture as I ground the almonds myself and I find that the vitamix always leaves a few little chunky bits.. maybe I'm doing it wrong because it excellent for everything else. Either that or I need to get the grinding jug for making flour and meal. If you don't want that then it's best to blend them in a food processor or use store bought almond meal. As per usual my almonds are always sprouted and dehydrated for enhanced nutrition and digestion.


  Grain Free Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes

Makes: 12

Ingredients:

1 ½ cup active almonds – ground or almonds meal
1 ½ cup coconut sugar
2 large tbs coconut flour
3 tbs raw cacao powder
1 tsp vanilla powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 free range eggs
½ cup organic Greek yogurt or coconut yoghurt for dairy free
1/3 cup coconut oil – soft or melted

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 180oc. Add all of the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine and aerate. Make a well in the center then add the eggs, yoghurt and oil. Stir the wet ingredients to combine them then slowly incorporate the rest of the dry ingredients into the wet in a folding motion. Once it is fully mixed spoon into greased muffin tins then bake for 20-25 minutes or until the bounce back when lightly pressed. Let cool before removing from the pan as they can stick…

Frosting:

I used this recipe substituting organic butter for the coconut oil. 

Happy Birthday Nana.. :-)

this recipe has been submitted to
Weekend Wellness

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)