Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pumpkin and Fennel Myajvar


I had such a good weekend that my blog got neglected.  It was my daughters 25th birthday on Sunday and she came down for lunch. It was such a good day. Haven't had a good day like that with her for quite a while. We went out for a beautiful lunch. All of our dishes where not only healthy but also really delicious.. Oops, I forgot to get photo's.

Blogging is always in the back of my mind (I bet other bloggers know that feeling) but I didn't get time to get to my computer to post anything, it's enough that I got photos. I'm always making something new which is the least of my problems and here is one I did on Saturday that I want to share.. I love it. I had it 3 nights in a row with my dinner.. I  love it added to raw vegetable noodles with an avocado sauce, lots of tomatoes and I usually add some protein, either Tuna, Salmon or fish. It's also nice with sliced olives..

Pumpkin and Fennel Myajvar
Makes: 2 jars

Ingredients:

1 1/2 large eggplants - cut into 1 1/2 cm slices
2 large red capsicum (peppers) - seeded ad quartered
2 medium tomatoes - quartered 
1 5cm slice jap/kent pumpkin - skinned and sliced
1 cup sliced fennel - sliced into chunks
2 cloves of garlic - end removed and kept whole
2 sprigs fresh rosemary - remove leaves from the stem
1 1/2 tsp himalayan, celtic or good quality sea salt
1 tsp mixed dried herbs - optional

Preparation:

Spread all of the vegetable, garlic and rosemary randomly onto a baking paper lined baking tray. Add the whole garlic cloves hiding them under the vegetables so that they don't get burnt. Bake in the oven on 160 degrees celcius for about 45 minutes to an hour. Keep an eye on them so that they don't burn. You want them to be soft and gooey. 
Once cooked turn the oven off and let them cool until warm then put them all into a blender making sure that you remove the skin of the garlic. If you've cut the bottom off the garlic the inside should just pop out when you squeeze it. Add the salt and mixed herbs if using then on a very low speed gently blend until the mix is blended but still has some chunks. Pour or spoon into 2 sterilised glass jars and secure the lid while still warm so that it seals. Let cool then store in the fridge. 
You can also use it while it's still warm.. then refrigerate the rest. if there's any left!! :-) 

Enjoy!! 
This recipe has been shared at
Weekend Wellness

2 comments:

  1. This is an interesting combination. I have never combined pumpkin and eggplant but it sounds really good!
    I know exactly what you mean about keeping blogging in the back of your mind. It can be hard to always stay on top of it, but sometimes you need a little break (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that if you are a lover of pumpkin it's a great combo. I always look for deep colored, sweet jap or kent pumpkin because I find it the sweetest, I think that's the secret to this recipe.
      Yes a break is always good to renew and freshen up the passion πŸ˜ƒπŸ’ž

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)