Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Savoury oat, nut and chia breakfast waffles - with a grain free option and serving suggestions




I'm slowly getting back on deck after a fantastic weekend in Darwin with my princess (daughter) visiting my family. It was so good to see them all. I think it's important for me to get up there as much as I can because my Dad never comes down here, I see my mum a lot as she comes down here frequently with my sisters girls and my sister which is nice. Lucky my brother gets down here at least once a year as well and we always enjoy catching up with him and his family. So, you know how it is, Dad's getting older and I want to see him as much as I can. I had a lovely time on Friday evening wandering around his garden with him, picking goodies to eat and bring home. Gorgeous things like fresh turmeric, ginger, galangal, garlic chives, sawtooth coriander.. the pumpkin and cucumbers I ate in my salads so they didn't make it home but I did get 2 doz eggs back here from his chooks.. lol I've added some photo's at the bottom of some of these..

I came up with this recipe a few weeks ago when I had a spare 10 minutes to get breakfast ready. I think it was a Saturday as I didn't have to make lunches and snacks. I love early mornings to myself.. A strong green tea and someone around that appreciates healthy food... that would be my husband!! My boys are good but get upset when I do something different.. "when you're on a good thing mum, stick with it!" is what i get. Pretty boring, thank goodness hubby is adventurous.

I got 2 good sized waffles out of this recipe. One is a serve as they are full of nutrition and quite substantial. The texture is great, just like a normal waffle but there is no flour or sugar. If you need them to be gluten free than make sure you use the gluten free oats. I have also added some other option in the notes after the recipe.

Savoury breakfast waffles
Makes: 2

Ingredients:

1/2 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup activated mixed nuts
2 tbs chia seeds
1/2 tsp herbamare or good quality salt
1/3 tsp bi-carb soda + 1/8 tsp Cream of Tartar or 3/4 tsp baking powder

2 large tbs cottage cheese
1 free range egg
1 tbs coconut oil

Preparation:
  1. Preheat your waffle iron while you prepare the mix.
  2. Add the oats and nuts to a high speed blender or food processor the blend until you have a fine meal that resembles wholemeal flour. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. It is a very thick mix.
  3. Place half of the mix into the center of the waffle iron and cook as per the instructions. Repeat with the other half. 
If you don't have a waffle iron then cook like pancakes in a preheated fry pan. Cook slowly on a low to medium heat as they will take longer than a normal pancake. The allows the inside to cook through without burning the outside.

NOTES:
  1. For a grain free, Paleo version use almond meal instead of oats
  2. Substitute almonds, sunflower seeds or cashews if you don't have mixed nuts
  3. Baking powder would also be fine to replace the bi-carb and Cream of Tartar. Use 1/2 tsp.
  4. You can substitute another oil for the coconut oil, try olive, avocado or rice bran.
  5. I kept the second one in a clip-lock bag in the fridge.
Waffles served with a smear of cottage cheese, smoked salmon, avocado and an egg.


Same as above without the smoked salmon
Here are some of my garden pics..

Chilis

Galangal

Pawpaw

Pineapple

Turmeric

This recipe has been submitted to Allergy Free Wednesday

2 comments:

  1. This looks really yummy! What are activated mixed nuts? I've never heard of those. Thanks for sharing this recipe!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina, Thank you.
    Activated nuts have been soaked in fresh water for about 8hrs depending on the nut then rinsed and used straight away or dehydrated at low temps to dry them out for use later or for recipes that need a dry nut. This recipe needs the dry nuts. This starts the germination process which enhances nutrition and make the amino acids digestible and rinsing them removes enzyme inhibitors (anti enzymes) which helps your body to assimilate the extra goodness from them..
    You could use normal almonds or almond meal if that all you have.
    Karen :-)

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)