Monday, November 25, 2013

Cauliflower couscous 3 ways!


This was my dinner on Saturday night. Great summer food and it was amazing!! Every ingredient in it had great flavour. It's the biggest problem when you eat real food. There's no additives, flavour enhancers or artificial flavours that make everything taste exactly the same. When you get bland fruits or veggies that's when you're thankful for great herbs, spices, natural salt and unrefined natural sweetness. I've been known the add dried fruit, honey/agave/maple syrup or stevia to a fruit smoothie more that once or twice to get some sparkle into the finished product let me tell you. I'm frugal, nothing gets thrown out.



I know. I know! I've been slack.. my 30 posts in 30 days has gone AWOL!! I've been super busy in my kitchen though. I've done up some great stuff for Christmas and all will be revealed in the next couple of weeks.

Here's the basic ingredients and quantities for this recipe. I'm just posting because I got a request so I like to oblige.. It's all made in a small food processor, you don't have to clean it between each recipe and it's quick and easy! There are a lot of variations to this recipe and I have added them all to the notes after the recipe. The Salad Sprout balls on the top will be posted in the next couple of days, with a spicy peach chutney dipping sauce.. Yum! ;-)

 Cauliflower couscous - 3 ways! with avocado sauce.

Makes: 1 serve for a healthy appetite! 

Ingredients:

Handful of mixed fresh greens - chopped or torn
1-2 tomatoes - diced
1/4 red capcum - diced

Carrot/Cauli couscous

1-2  flowerette cauli - chopped
1/2 carrot - peeled and sliced
2 inches parsnip - peeled and slice
1 raw black olive
1 sundried tomato - sliced
sprinkle of mixed herbs, Himalayan salt and fresh rosemary (optional)

Beetroot/parsnip/cauli couscous

1-2  flowerette cauli - chopped
1/2 carrot - peeled and sliced
2 inches parsnip - peeled and slice
2-3 cm chunk of peeled beetroot - sliced
1 raw black olive
1 sundried tomato - sliced
sprinkle of mixed herbs, Himalayan salt or herbamare and fresh rosemary (optional)

Avocado/cauli couscous

3-4 cm chunk of zucchi
1 flowerette cauliflower - chopped
3cm chunk parsnip - chopped
1 medium mushroom
Small chunk carrot - sliced
1 raw black olive
1 sundried tomato - sliced
1/2 to 1 whole avocado
Zest 1/2 clove of garlic and some ginger
sprinkle of mixed herbs, Himalayan salt or herbamare

Avocado Sauce

2-4 medium mushroom
1 whole avocado
Zest 1/2 clove of garlic and some ginger
sprinkle of mixed herbs, Himalayan salt or herbamare
1 tbs fresh lemon juice - optional

Preparation:

Line a  plate with fresh chopped greens.

For each couscous add all of the ingredients and blend until you get a nice fine couscous consistency then spoon onto the chopped fresh greens. Sometimes I put them on top of each other sometimes next to each other, it's up to you.

For the avocado sauce add all of the ingredients but continue to blend until it gets smooth. Spoon onto the couscous then chop up the tomatoes and some red capsicum if you wish and add that to the plate. Voila!!

NOTES:

  1. As you can see it's just a matter of having peeled vegetable ready to go then you just add and whizz then do another batch, no cleaning just add, blend, empty and go again. 
  2. the addition of the olives and sundried tomatoes give it a fantastic flavour, you can also add garlic to the couscous but make sure you don't add too much as it will be a bit overpowering. I just zest it in as I go.
  3. A dash of fresh lemon juice and some extra salt and pepper over the top just before serving adds extra zing. (I'm a salt addict)
  4. Yes! it has lot of avocado in it. Avo's are the bomb!! 
  5. You can also add soaked and drained seaweed to the couscous, I usually do this. Wakame works well. 
  6. If you are not raw or vegan adding boiled eggs, Tuna or salmon add a great source of protein. It also tastes great!
  7. I also fork it into nori sheets and roll it up like burritos! Totally amazing.. 
  8. I have this at least 2 to 3 times a week! 

Gotta go, more recipe to input and I need food.. Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)