Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Chocolate shortbread cookies, 1 little cookie, 2 ways! - Paleo and vegan!

Chocolate!.. Shortbread!.. Grain free!.. Dairy free!.. Yum! So delicate they just melt in your mouth.

These little cookies are so easy to make. I think I say that everyday, sorry but it's true. You'll find that most of my stuff is quick and easy and doesn't include much cleaning. I love to cook and create but I'm not into all the rig-moral of complicated dishes. I love simple, good quality food that doesn't need too much tampering to give it taste and awesomeness!

These are actually a freezer cookie, as you will need to freeze the dough before you cook them. What I love about them is you can keep the dough in the freezer and if you need some cookies!! just pop them into a pre-heated oven. And if your not that organised... there actually quite good raw!! And as they don't contain any animal products that need cooking they are safe to eat raw. .So, there you go there also a raw cookie! Something for everyone.



If you like shortbread or melting moments but you need to cut grains, gluten and processed sugars these cookies are perfect. Actually, no! everyone should eat these, they taste just as good, if not better and they are soo much better for you. Healthy fats and calcium from the almonds, superfoods from raw cacao powder low gi, nutrient rich coconut sugar, cinnamon for controlling blood sugar and metabolism enhancing coconut oil.

 Chocolate Shortbread cookies

Makes: Approx 12

Ingredients:

1 cup almond meal - I ground my own almonds in a food processor
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 tbs coconut flour
2 tsp raw cacao powder
1 tsp vanilla powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
75ml coconut oil

Preparation:

If you are going to ground you own almonds do them first in the food processor then add the rest of the ingredients and process until you have a thick dough. Turn the dough out onto a piece of baking paper and if you need to knead it to get all the little extra bits into a ball. Shape it into a sausage about 4-5cm in diameter then slice into 1 1/2 cm pieces then roll it firmly in the paper and freeze. If you don't cut them now the mix is too hard once frozen.

When you are ready to cook them preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius and place the rounds onto a baking tray, I line mine with baking paper( I don't like cleaning!) and bake for 15-18 mins or until they look cooked. The do feel quite firm once done but don't press too hard as they are quite delicate. Let cool so that they set.


I had some spare chocolate coconut sugar icing that I made for some other cookies I made this morning and sandwiched a bit between 2 of these delicate little chocolate shortbreads.. Yep, it was pretty special. :-) 

Cream Filling:

2 tbs soft butter
2/3 cup coconut sugar -ground
1 tbs rice flour
1 tbs raw cacao butter
1/2 tsp vanilla and cinnamon

Preparation:

Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix with a cake blender until the mix becomes light and fluffy. This can take up to 5 minutes. Once you have the filling nice and thick and creamy carefully spoon a small dollop into the centre of half the cookies then gently press another one on top of it until the cream just reaches the edges. Place in the fridge to set.


NOTES:

  1. I didn't ground the coconut sugar for the cookies or the cream filling but I will next time. It adds a nice crunch in the cookie but I think the cream should be super smooth
  2. If you want the cream to be vegan you could use coconut cream or soaked cashews. 
  3. Be gentle with them as they are delicate, it's what makes them melt in you mouth! 

Enjoy!

Shared at
AllergyFreeWednesdays







No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)