Thursday, November 7, 2013

Chocolate superfood cookies with vanilla cashew cream


Far out! I can't believe how quickly Christmas is coming up! And I still have 2 of my kids birthdays to get through. Time to start thinking about food! Food for Birthdays, Christmas day, Christmas Eve, Boxing day, Picnics, New Year and any other excuse to get some good food together.. :-)

I'm also on a mission. I am always making something new. Either for me, which is always raw or pescatarian. Or for the family which is all the cooked food, cakes, and anything with meat. Always healthified and hopefully delicious! I want do a new post everyday for the next 30 days!! So sign up to follow by email to see what I come up with. There will be lots of raw stuff, healthy family food, treats and snacks. Usually grain free, gluten free. dairy free (and if they are not I will add options to suite) and always using unrefined sugar!

Here's my first, a quick and easy recipe for raw cookies with a yummy cream center. Perfect for the festive season. What I like the best about these is that they only take about 20-30 minutes to make and all ingredients are pantry items. So, if you have someone ring up and say "we're coming over for a visit" you can make these up and have something really special to treat then with when they get there.

 Chocolate superfood cookies with vanilla cashew cream

Makes: 6

Ingredients:

Cookies:
¾ cup cashews
¼ cup sunflower seeds
1 cup pitted dried dates
½ cup organic dried coconut
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mesquite
2 ½ tsp raw cacao powder

Vanilla cream:
1/3 cup raw cashews
5 pitted dried dates

Preparation:

Cookies:
Add all of the cookie ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until fine and sticky and starting to turn into fudge. The oils will start to release which is what gives them a really nice consistency.
Press the mix into a silicone donut mold or similar or roll into balls then flatten slightly and press an indent into the center for the vanilla cream. (Like a thumbprint cookie) Place in the fridge or freezer to set while you prepare the vanilla cream

Cream:
Rinse and drain the cashews then add them to the dates and date soak water along with the vanilla powder. Blend in a small personal blender (like the tribest) until super smooth and creamy adding water 1 tbs at a time until it blends properly in the blender. Don't add too much or it will be way too runny. Bouncing the blender up and down helps to blend a firm mix. Once it is done gently spoon little dollops into the center of the cookies the return to the fridge or freezer to set. Enjoy!

Enjoy with a Green Tea if you are a happy purist like I am.. or go the whole hog and have them with a Latte! 

PS Don't forget to sign up at the top right hand corner to see what's happening in my kitchen and garden, might even add some of my workouts! 

This recipe has been submitted to 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)