Sunday, November 10, 2013

Curry almond pate, great for a healthy cracker-n-dip combo


I took this pate/dip to a Hens party yesterday afternoon and it was well received. It was taste tested before hand by my oldest son and his girlfriend as well.. she's easy, loves healthy food, but my son, he likes healthy as well, but is a little bit fussy.. Verdict!! he loved it as well.. Yeh! as any mum would know, trying to feed your teenage children a healthy diet, it's pretty damn good when they love the alternative stuff. Actually I'm pretty proud of him, since leaving home he has realised the importance of healthy eating and has let me know that he really appreciated how I fed him and what he learnt from it. He is now passing on his knowledge to the boys he lives with and seems to have converted them all. His big claim to fame is getting them off dairy. Well done I say! And just to let all those mothers out there know, just keep doing your thing, they will whinge and complain but it all comes back to you when they realise the favour you did them. I always told mine that I loved them way too much to feed them rubbish and if I was to buy them fast food I would be neglecting them and I could never do that. I never got any arguments after that.


With Christmas just around the corner this is a great dip to take to christmas functions, get togethers and if you have friends drop over. Served with crackers and veggie sticks it's the perfect healthy snack food.

It's really easy if you have a few almonds soaked up. It also works with activated almonds if you are in a rush, you will just have to add more water. Adjust seasoning to your liking, more curry powder will add a bit more heat and balance to sweet/saltiness to you liking. I think it is perfect as is but we are all different. If you like curry it's a great recipe, just make it work for you.

 Curry Almond dip

Makes: 1 party serving

Ingredients:

150ml soaked and rinsed almonds
1/2 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 large slice of onion
2 tsp dried coconut
2 tsp sultanas
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp celtic or Himalayan salt
75 ml water

Preparation:

Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Add water 1 tbs at a time if you need more than the 75ml to get it turning. It helps to shake the blender up and down to move the ingredients over the blades if using a small personal blender. If you are using a large one move the mix with the tamper. Once done spoon into a serving bowl and garnish with fresh chopped chives.

Serve with raw crackers, veggie sticks or toasted Luving Life bread.
Enjoy!




So, Is everyone ready for Christmas, I have my husbands family coming over from SA so I have lots of excuses to get into my kitchen and create! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)