Thursday, November 21, 2013

Gluten free salmon and rice patties or balls


These are a gluten free version of the 'Tuna and rice balls'. Salmon is a great source of omega 3 essential fatty acids and also calcium if you eat the bones, which you should. I've used ground nuts and seeds to thicken and crumb the patties which has not only added to the nutrition it's also made them gluten free.

I don't like to label how I eat or which style of eating I think is the best. I've been on my journey since I was 15 and over the years it has evolved as I have researched and as age has affected how food reacts for me and how it makes me feel. I've been  pescatarian, vegetarian, raw vegan ( 5 yrs) and I have learn't that everyone is different and has different needs. And more to the point, where you're at on your journey to healthy eating, that's if you've even started.
For someone that's living on fast food, drive-through, heat-um-up in the microwave crud that comes out of a coloured box or just add hot water, wait 3 minutes and devour, then the first step is to quit all those things ASAP!! They need to start doing their food shopping around the outside of the supermarket, which means, fruit, vegetables, eggs, bread, meat, dairy and maybe head down the aisle to grab a bag of rolled oats, tinned fish and a good quality stock powder, sea salt, herbs and spices. They'll get used to how good they feel eating real food, then watch the journey begin. I love seeing and talking to people that have done this and really embraced it. A lot feel so good they get this well intended passion to tell everyone what they should be eating, it's not long before everyone they've tried to inadvertently convert runs the other way as soon as they see them. It's only going to happen when those people see the change in you or they finally accept the fact they they don't really feel or look that good and maybe it would be good to ask you what your doing.. then you go for it!! lol

So here's the recipe I promised. I've used them hot and cold for packed lunches, dinner and lunch with either mashed veggies or a salad or both!! The salad version I've done for lunch and with mashed sweet potato, cauliflower and broccoli for dinner. Cut up the sweet potato, cauliflower and broccoli then add them together to a pot, cook with minimal water or stream, drain, then add a bit of cottage cheese, salt and pepper or stock powder, milk (optional, try nut milk) and mash. I do mine with a stab blender. Quick, easy, and you can add heaps of other veggies to it.

Salmon and Rice Patties

Makes: quite a few!! Oops, I didn't count.

Use the recipe for the Tuna and Rice balls but substitute the 

Tuna for a 400g tin of salmon drained - add the bones as well.

In the crumb mix:
Bread with 1 cup ground almonds
For the leftovers used to crumb the patties add 1/2 tsp stock powder, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika or cajun mix.

In the wet mix:
Curry and sultanas with 1 tsp mixed herbs, 1 tsp crushed garlic, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika or cajun spice mix and 1 tsp dijon mustard.

Proceed as usual! 
 For lunch with my Cauli coconut couscous (recipe coming soon), cashew cream cheese and fresh salad.

Here are some pics from our twilight walk the other evening when we were getting the rain and storms.



Stay healthy,motivated and fit and have a great day... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)