Friday, November 1, 2013

Banana, Pear, Date and Walnut Cake – protein enhanced, grain free and dairy free


I whipped up a nutritious cake for Craig this morning, he arrived home yesterday for work. He's upped his workout program so needs lots of good healthy protein enhanced snacks and meals. This cake can be grain free or gluten free. I added the nuts and dates which give it a nice crunch and the dates for sweet chewiness. I love it when I can do that, Jordi won't touch anything unless it is all blended and smooth.. drives me crazy! 

I've got a little update on the veggie garden as well with some  pics of some goodies I got from my trip to Darwin to see my family. Special little superfoods to add nutrition and flavour to everything. And as a bonus they will grow into beautiful plants in the garden. 



 Banana, Pear, Date and Walnut Cake

Makes 1 20x10cm loaf

Ingredients:

Dry mix:
1 cup almond meal
¾ cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup plain gluten free flour or coconut flour for grain free
½ cup dried pitted dates – halved
½ cup walnuts or pecans
1 tsp each of cinnamon, vanilla powder
1 tsp mesquite - optional
1 tsp bi-carb soda
1/8 tsp cream of tartar

Wet mix:
½ large ripe pear
1 large ripe banana
1 free range egg
2 tsp chia

Topping:
2 tbs pepitas
1 tbs coconut shreds
Cinnamon sugar (mix 2 tbs cinnamon with 5 tbs coconut sugar and store in a shaker)
Olive oil spray

Preparation:
  1. Preheat oven to 180oc
  2. Add all of the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
  3. Add the wet ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth then add it to the dry ingredients and mix with a large spoon until fully incorporated.
  4. Pour into a baking paper lined 20x10 loaf pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle with the pepitas, coconut and cinnamon sugar then spray the olive oil over it to make it set so that it doesn't all fall off when you cut and serve it.
  5. Cook for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out dry


Here is a photo I got of the garden this morning, as you can see it's coming on great. I picked a cucumber yesterday (ate it straight away) and I'm still getting lots of greens and herbs as well. The capsicum (peppers) zucchini, tomatoes, pumpkin and spaghetti squash all have babies on them that are growing really quickly. It's great! I love it!


 Turmeric, ginger and galangal - some to eat, some to plant!

The Cucumber.. :-) 

Enjoy the cake.. it's super moist and yum. I find that anything I add protein powder to goes very firm quite quickly, so far this one is good. 

Does anyone else have a veggie garden and if you do what are you growing? 

This recipe has been submitted to Weekend Wellness

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)