Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Cauli, Coconut and carrot rice


I love Cauliflower couscous, rice, crumbly cauli, call it what you want but I love it!! there's so much you can do with it. The only problems is I don't think it really like me too much!! I have a low thyroid (hypothyroid) and they say that cauliflower is a not good for it. It belongs to a family of vegetables that are Goitrogens which are said to inhibit the thyroid. Here are some others if you think you have or you are hypothyroid.



• Broccoli
• Kale
• Brussels Sprouts
• Mustard Greens
• Radishes
• Spinach
• Strawberries
• Peaches
• Soy-Based Foods
• Peanuts

If you can't use cauliflower this recipe is also beautiful made with parsnip, especially if you get a nice sweet one. I often combine that two which I would have to say is my favourite. The truth is I do eat cauliflower and for some reason, sometimes I'm OK with it, other times I suffer for 3 days after. Why that is I don't know but i'd say there would be a few reasons such as chemicals and how strong the cauli is. I notice that sometimes I get a nice mild, almost sweet one and at other times they have a very strong taste. 


Cauli, Coconut and carrot rice

Makes: 1 medium bowl

Ingredients:

3-4 cauliflowerettes
1 carrot peeled
½ cm ginger – zested
½ cup organic shredded coconut
½ to 1 clove fresh crushed garlic
Juice of ½ orange
1 tsp each of orange and lemon zest
1 tbs tamari or Nama shoyu
1 tbs unpasteurized miso
1/3 cup pepitas
1/3 cup sultanas or currants
1/3 cup dried pineapple – diced (optional)
1 tbs mixed fresh herbs or 1 tsp dried

Preparation:

Add chopped cauliflower and carrots to a food processor and process until you get a fine couscous consistency. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Adjust seasonings to taste. Transfer again to a serving bowl and lightly garnish with extra pepitas, coconut and sultanas.

NOTES:

1.   You can get unpasteurized miso from most Health food stores.
2.   If you like chili and little bit of fresh chopped or chili flakes would be nice
3.   Fresh pineapple juice would be nice, just blend about ½ cup of fresh pineapple and add it instead of the orange juice.

Enjoy! 

I'm going to post one of my fruit mince recipes very soon. I've made a lot of different thing with this one batch. 

Here's a teaser.... :-)









No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)