Monday, December 9, 2013

Christmas Fruit Mince - getting ready for lots of different healthy recipes


This is the second lot of fruit mince I've made this year. Well actually the third, which reminds me I have another great Christmas recipe I should share with you.. It's my healthy version of an Italian Christmas slice.. and it's amazing!

Fruit mince is best left for at least 24hrs or more. Stir it occasionally and inhale the gorgeous aroma! I tell you it just gets better the longer you let it sit.
The agave I have is raw! It therefore still contains a high level of minerals and has a lower GI than most sweeteners making it diabetic friendly. I would not recommend buying the cheaper versions available in most supermarkets as it's really just a highly processed sweetener containing no nutrition at all. My agave is purchased from Raw Pleasure because I know they have an extremely high standard and they research all of their products before they are placed into the shop.

Enough of that! It's Christmas, and this is a much healthier version, use dried fruits that have no preservatives on them. In the next couple of days I am going to show you have to make a few different recipes with it, some raw, some cooked and all will be grain free and gluten free! Join me as we get ready to celebrate...

 Fruit Mince

Ingredients:

Quantities are approximate

1 1/2 cups sultanas (raisins)
1 1/2 cups pitted dates - chopped
1 cup figs - diced
1 cup prunes - pitted and chopped
1/2 cup currants
1/2 cup agave, raw honey, coconut syrup or fresh pineapple/orange juice
2 green apples - peeled and grated
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla powder
1/2 tsp mixed spice
Zest of a 1/2 lemon and orange - make sure their organic
2 chai tea bags - made into 1 cup with hot water

Preparation:

Add all ingredients to a large glass bowl that had a lid and stir to combine. Let sit on the bench for at least 24hrs stirring occasionally. The flavours and aroma will develop and it becomes nice and thick.

NOTE:
  1. If you are going to use the juice I usually just blend some fresh fruit in the tribest blender and add the lot including the pulp. Pineapple gives it a nice tang.
  2. The stronger your chia tea the better to get those beautiful aromas into the mix, sometimes I use 4 tea bags.

See ya'll later..

Here are some of the recipes you can make with this Fruit Mince



and there are still a few more to come.. :-) Will be posting them next week..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)